Cool Runnings

Started by 156Buck, September 29, 2015, 09:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

156Buck

So the story starts last summer with a blown head gasket and Mossy and rotted head, but thats another story.

With summer coming up again I don't want to relive that experience and ever since I feel like the Cooling system hasn't been performing 100%.
In traffic, particularly, I notice that the water temperature fluctuates between just under 90 and about 97 or so, when the fan kicks in. I know this is normal for maybe height of summer traffic, but it was doing this in 20 degree weather. Today was the last straw, when I was driving around (no traffic, about 20 degrees) the temp was slowly creeping up (90,92,94...97) even when I was cruising at 40 kph. Then suddenly it dropped, I mean within 2 seconds back to just below 90,

So there are a few things that im thinking in my mind could possibly be the culprit
1. Thermostat is faulty somehow opening and closing at varying temperatures? it is even possibly?! (by the sudden drop in temp from story above)
2. the bits of headgasket are somewhere in the system, blocking a pipe or wedged within the block somewhere?
3. Radiator has had its time (14 years old now)

Can anyone shed some knowledge or experience on what to do? I'm going to test the thermostat soon, and also thinking about removing the radiator and taking it to get tested or repaired. (Worth getting repaired or just buy a replacement?) 

2001 156 2l twinny Manual is the car in question

Thank you in advance  :)
'01 156 TS
'72 Berlina 2000

V AR 164

IMO, if it isn't overheating, leave it alone. My 164 gets up to about 90, then the fan kicks in and goes back down again.

I would replace the thermostat and flush the system first to see if that solves the issue you have when it suddenly drops down, if that does not work, it is probably a faulty temp sensor. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

When was the cooling system last 'serviced'? Your water pump may also need replacing soon if it hasn't been done recently.

Also, I doubt the radiator would be at fault, mine is over 26 years old and still cools/holds water.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

156Buck

Water pump and coolant itself <4000km old so I doubt they could be contributing
Ill flush the system and see whats happens.
Thanks again
'01 156 TS
'72 Berlina 2000

colcol

Use the correct coolant for your model, look up Nulon/Penrite/Paraflu/etc websites for your correct coolant, don't always trust spare parts people at major Auto retailers, who have never heard of Alpha Remoes, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]