Is my lumpy V6 idle normal?

Started by cc, October 13, 2015, 02:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Hi Guys
My 2.5L idles like a V8!! ie its not a smooth rhythm but it isnt rocking the car..., but I havent heard another 156 V6 yet to compare it with altho the guy who did the road worthy thought it a bit rough..
The car feels eager to accelerate when driven and is smooth on the road.
After reading Festy's recent posts on the T spark. Which have been fascinating.
Im wondering if my 2002 vehicle has some unknown ailments.
Could members please comment on what the idle of a 2002 V6 is like.
Is a little roughness normal?
thx

V AR 164

I experienced the same thing with  my 164. Sounded like it was misfiring and running like it had a big cam in it.
Changed the spark plugs and it was all good after that.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

cc

have had platinum plugs in for a few months now..

alanm

To answer your question, definitely doesn't sound normal, I have a 2001 156 2.5 and a 2001 GTV 3.0 and neither idles roughly.
Al.
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

jorritkooistra

I see you live in brisbane, is that correct? I can have a look for you. Im in nundah. I have a scantool as well , so could scan it iff neccesary

Sent from my Agora 4G using Tapatalk

cc

Hi Joori
thanks for the offer of help. I lost a couple of hose clamps when working on the engine last year!
2 for the hoses that go into the back of the inlet manifold that sits on the rear cylinder bank. Will fix this up and see if a partial vacuum leak is not the cause. Will keep the 'lumpy idle ' post going, hope to catch up at a club meet (better renew my membership!) cheers
ps how is the search for a GTA going?

NeroGTV

I had a similar issue - Lambda sensor seemed to be the cause.  Changed it now all is good.  Also check for air leaks in inlet hoses.

I've a diagnostic tool I would be happy to plug in for you to see if there are any error codes.  I'm in SE Suburbs of Melbourne.

jorritkooistra

I havent bought one yet. Sortof stopped searching. I invested my alfa money into my "workshop". I want to kit out my garage first, then i will buy a GTA.

Sent from my Agora 4G using Tapatalk