Clutch going soft

Started by dc_cudi, October 10, 2015, 04:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc_cudi

Hey,

Have been having a few issues with my clutch and no solution thus far. I have JTS 4 cylinder 2007 GT.  Master cylinder went about 2 months ago, had that replaced and now i have a strange situation where my clutch will go soft when it hasn't been used for a while. For instance if i haven't driven the car for a while or if im in 5th on a freeway for an extended period of time then the clutch goes soft and i have to pump it really hard a few times to get it back and then it works perfectly again.  already had master cylinder replaced, it has been bled twice and confirmed there are no leaks in the system.  Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause?  Everyone I have spoken to is confused by the issue and doesn't know why it is happening, including mechanic.

Thanks in advance

Mick A

Gday,

I would be fairly sure going by the info you've provided that the slave cylinder is about to pack it in. 

The slave is also the thrust bearing, and requires the gearbox to be removed to replace it. I suggest you also replace the clutch for good measure when carrying out this work.

Mick.

bazzbazz

Noticed anything odd with the brakes as well by chance?

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

dc_cudi

Nothing wrong with the brakes.

Thanks for the response guys, slave cylinder really does seem the only option but obviously you want to be sure before you pull the engine out. It is just strange that it only happens when the clutch hasn't been used for a while, eg: on the freeway after a long drive or when the car hasn't been driven in a couple of days, in city traffic it is fine.

Mick A

It doesn't sound strange at all mate, it sounds exactly like the symptoms of a buggered slave cylinder.

Gearbox out, not engine out.

Mick.

Craig_m67

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)