Supersprint Questions

Started by V AR 164, October 25, 2015, 06:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hey guys,

I am wanting to get into supersprints. I have read the beginners guide to club sprints and just need a few things clarified.

As I am 16, I am on my L's, do you need to have a full license to participate?
Does the car participating need to be registered in the Alfa club? Or is being a member with another car registered enough?
Finally, would you recommend me to get into supersprints?

I have always loved motor racing and regularly participate in go kart racing at my local track, but would love to get into car racing.

Thanks! Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Neil Choi

You don't need a civil car license to drive on a race track, you need a CAMS L2S or in your case being under 18, a L2J license.
All you need is to be a member of a CAMS affiliated car club, AROCA being one, if you are sprinting with AROCA, it would be obvious and nice to be a member of AROCA, even more so if you are driving an Alfa and using the AROCA forum.
It is recommended to do sprints as well as do the driver training we provide.
Sprinting improves your driving and road awareness.  You are less likely to do stupid things on public roads.
But be aware it is addictive and make sure you have a good sponsor.  And don't get too serious unless you have really deep pockets.
Why don't you come out to a sprint day and check out what goes on and speak to a few people about it, we are at Broadford on 1 Nov.

Evan Bottcher

Gudday Andrew,

What Neil said. I think you're already an AROCA member, you don't need to have the car on the register or anything to use it at sprints. You do need to do a bit of prep though, read the supp regs carefully. A common fault for first-timers is fire extinguisher bracket, it needs to be securely bolted to a plate or the floor with nuts and bolts not just self-tappers, just an example.

As Neil already said, see if you can get up to Broadford this weekend, come say hello to an official (orange vest) and ask any questions, have a look at some of the cars everything from road cars to purpose-built race weapons.

See you there!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

V AR 164

Thanks guys,

I'll definitely make it out there this weekend.
Is it at the Broadford State Motorcycling Complex? And what time do you suggest I be there at?

Thanks, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Evan Bottcher

Yes to Broadford State Motorcycling Complex.  When you enter from the highway through the entry gate turn right and follow the service road around until you arrive at the pit buildings.

We'll be there from 7am, and the day generally runs until 5pm unless everyone gets dizzy and goes home.  Come along any time.  Unlike most race tracks we visit, the food at Broadford is great - good egg and bacon rolls for breakfast, burgers and chips for lunch.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

V AR 164

Thanks guys for the great day today! Really enjoyed it and the weather was great.

Spoke to some really nice people and only makes me want to get into sprinting more!

Thanks again, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti