Evans Waterless Coolant

Started by bteoh, November 09, 2015, 02:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bteoh

Has anyone used the Evans Waterless Coolant (Pure Glycol) in their Alfas and any experience that they can share? It is meant to prevent any corrosion in the engine due to no water content but does seem to elevate temperatures somewhat. Anyone see their temperature gauge needles go up dramatically?
Thanks for any info.

Stuart Thomson

Hi,

Apart from being quite hygroscopic, pure glycol is not a good choice for coolant, it has a much lower heat transfer capacity than water based coolant.  Corrosion inhibitors in modern coolant mixtures work really well, as long as you change the coolant.  There are plenty of concentrated corrosion inhibitors on the market, just use the recommended amount and add your own water.  Tap water in Australia is fine to use in cooling systems of cars as we generally have quite soft water.  The small amount of glycol in the corrosion inhibitor concentrate will help lubricate your water pump.

Cheers
Stuart

colcol

100% what Stuart said, i put too much Glycol in the Sud years ago, and the coolant fan was running all the time because, the Glycol would get rid of the heat.
You could try what i have been using lately instead of tap water and that is demineralised water, that is available through Repco and Stupermarkets, it is a lot cheaper than it used to be and has no corrosive chemicals in it, i am told that South Australia water is not good for cooling systems or aluminium, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]