rear radius arm and uneven tyre wear

Started by cc, November 23, 2015, 04:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Have noticed that the tyre,left rear passenger side, that had one of its rear radius arms replaced, is losing tread faster than the rear on the right side!!
The new arm was the rear one, supplied from alfaworkshop uk made by Meyle. See pic.
The old one was worn and picked up during the vehicle inspection for rego.
Im thinking now that I should have replaced the pair, not just one.

Cool Jesus

With any suspension modifications and changes, one should always do a wheel alignment. Have you done this?

Not entirely necessary to change both at the same time, but if same age I would have. What's probs happened is that alignment catered to the slack arm, but now stiffer and geometry changed alignment would be out. Where is the tyre wearing?
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

cc

the tread is lowering evenly across the width of the rubber.
How is wheel alignment done on the rear wheel?
thank you Jesus! :)

Cool Jesus

The foremost cross brace in your photo (ie the rear cross brace), should have  a cam bolt for toe adjustment of the rear wheels. It's the inner bolt furthest from the wheel. You'll spot it by the graduating lines embossed on the washer, which is held in situ by a welded u shaped flat holder.  Even wear would indicate (to me) that the wheel is definately out of adjustment with > or < toe. Having change only one radius arm my also effect the thrust angle or the wheels aren't rolling on the same plane (one may be slightly forward/behind the other)

Just pop down to your trusted tyre shop and get an alignment done. It's cheap and you'll be advised of any issues. I always ask for a print out of the results for comparison to OEM spec and my own records.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

cc

copy that. Have booked it in for tomorrow. Thanks again.

cc

sigh. Had the alignment done by a local tyre supplier in  Brisbane (email for the name)
I didnt have my owners manual with wheel geometry with the car to confirm what needed to be done before it was done.
Turns out the values for toe and camber set, dont agree with my O manual.
The cam bolt used for adjusting toe in the left rear wasnt used. The operator said the front rear radius arm was bent so he 'straightened' it' on the vehicle...
I informed the guy on the front desk about the cam bolt before hand..
When I asked what had been done after he had no idea, i mentioned the bolt again with the operator.. Who then went out again for another look under the vehicle...
The car is tracking a little straighter
Cost was $66
The Fulcrum suspension shop next door quoted $120.
The morale of the story for me. Im not going back for tyres :)

Cool Jesus

Yeah good shops and trades are gold if you can find them. Should use the forum for recommendations, but I know how it is. I thought Tempe tyres were ok till they stuffed me around 2 to many times. Found a kumho dealership in silverwater who looked after me like a sore toe. All I had was an alignment and tyre change, so short change as far as a sale, but I was even in there hands on with the alignment tech getting it sorted. I can highly recommend them for Sydneysiders... They can also order in any tyre make.

$60 is the norm for an alignment, perhaps if you have a spare ten, swap the rears over and keep an eye on the wear. If the wear is still there, then find someone that cares for your business.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS