Custom Made Steering Wheel???

Started by Duk, November 18, 2015, 01:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duk

Ok, I'm board and it's stinking hot out there. So I thought I'd ask something different.

Given that a lot of aftermarket steering wheels are considered illegal due to having no crash pad, has anyone every seen, heard of or made their own steering wheel???

Now I know it sounds a bit mad, but aside from looks, most people prefer an after market steering wheel due to their ergonomics. I know I prefer the feel first and the looks second.
So that gave me the idea of making a smaller diameter wheel based on the existing Alfa steering wheel, with a thicker rim and maybe notches at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. If done well this would give a factory appearance and negligable, if any, unwanted attention.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

Davo416

This is a very nicely executed example of modifying an existing 916 GTV wheel while keeping the airbag. From a taiwan forum (see page 10 onwards);

http://www.alfaclub.com.tw/viewthread.php?tid=36607&extra=&page=10

Duk

Thatnk's for those photos and the link Davo. Stylishly that's what I'm talking about!  8)
By doing that sort of thing on top of reduced wheel diameter, I think an ideal 'Factory-esk' wheel could be produced.
That way you get the looks, the ergonomics and the driving pleasure/feel, all while looking entirely integrated.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???