Alfa OEM Wheel Spacers (aka brake plate)

Started by Cool Jesus, November 05, 2015, 08:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool Jesus

Thought I'd throw this up to add to the brains trust. Having had some recent issues in changing my spider's oem 16' rims w/ 205/50r16 to 147 Ti 17" rims w/215/45r17, the specs were all within legal requirements and i found the new rim size slotted in nicely, however after a short run I found the inside edge of the rear rims was fouling against the lower spring pan arm, arghhh. There was also slight contact up front with wheel on full lock, inside edge of tyre touching the inner wheel well towards the front. In my search of possible remedies, having contacted a number of well experienced traders and alfa mechs (that's in decades of experience too), I thought I had gone through all this trouble of refurbishing the Ti rims and installing new tyres for naught. As most would know, wheel spacers aren't legal without engineering certification, unless they are fitted OEM? After market spacers aren't up to the job. Either too big, not enough metal and a myriad of issues such as torquing crush of the soft aluminium.

My little T10 wedge globe turned on above my head when I recalled having seen such an item on my 164, which seemed OEM. I jumped onto Eper and sure enough, its an Alfa part for the 164 and the 916 series and perhaps others (no. 9 on pic), so off came the 164 wheel and there it was. Fantastic these rims will be used. OEM they are called a 'brake plate', its 3mm thick zinc coated steel. Can't say if there are thicker sizes, but the 3mm will certainly save my rims.   
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Evan Bottcher

Do the spider hubs have a central spigot which the wheel centres on?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Cool Jesus

Yes, its hubcentric. Not noticable on teh Eper pic above as its depicted on the axle section of eper. No. 1 in this eper pic
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

colcol

Always remember spigots locate and bolts and nuts clamp, bolts and nuts won't locate a wheel with no spigot as the forces will loosen them off with disasterous results, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

phri

The brake plates are 4.5 mm for the 915.
I tried the same; 147 wheels on GTV, but needed 20 mm spacers to clear the front brakes ( I have a gtv3.0). The 2.0 has the same wheels thus for you the offset must be wrong too. I had a set of 20 mm hub centred spacers made for me.

Subsequently I found a set of 17 inch GT wheels which looks great but still need at least 4 mm spacers. I coudn't find the 4.5 mm break plates and didn't want the use the flimsy universal 5 mm spacers. I had a guy in Eastern Europe made them for me from high grade solid aluminium; works well, and still centres on the hub. PM me if you want his contact details.

I also have a set of 20 mm new hub centre spacers for sale, made for Alfa which I never used as I use the GT wheels.

Cool Jesus

Thanks dude, I'm looking to get some 10mm plates which would be ideal for my rim choice. There's manufacturers locally that can machine them from solid stock and extended wheel bolts can be ordered in from most auto parts stores. I'm keeping in mind motor registry requirements for wheel modifications, the 10mm and rim choice will keep me within the specs of not requiring engineering certification. I think with the 20mm I'l start to have wheel to wheel arch contact. I agree with the universal spacers, theres to much gap in the meatl which I think will eventually deform and loosen wheel nuts.

Phri I'm curious though, why you went O/S for the spacers? Shipping would have been horrendous?
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

phri

I went overseas because the price was right and these guys did some good work for me in the past.
I paid $10 for shipping and $70 for 4 X 5 mm spacers. Spacers specific made to specs.

Probably could have ordered it locally just as easy.

Cool Jesus

Well that's not too shabby on price. PM sent.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS