OK - where is my jack?

Started by The Count, December 22, 2015, 09:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Count

Looking to check squeaking suspension (rear) on our 1999 Spider (2.0 T-Spark) and, search as I might, I cannot find the jack! This is the "no spare wheel" model and I can find the repair kit, the wheel brace, towing hook BUT not the jack.
Have not needed to jack the car since buying it so now regretting not checking for the jack on purchase or am I missing something? Have checked boot and rear interior stowage compartment but still no jack. The manual says it's located inside the "mini spare wheel" which we don't have so is there anywhere else to look or do I just go and buy a replacement?

Thoughts? Guidance? Advice to the newbie? Please

The Count

Hmmmm.... Perhaps there never was one?????

Stuart Thomson

Yep, probably never had one.  My daughter had a GTV, no spare, just a can of stuff, no jack.

And, if you want a trolley jack to fit under the sills, you have to get one of the lightweight "racing" jacks...

Cheers
Stuart

colcol

You are right Stewart, i had a friend with a GTV, that purchased a jack and spare space saver wheel, from Milano Spares in Thomastown, from a 156 sedan, just in case.
I also think that the GTV came with a kit, that had a pump and puncture repair kit, as i have seen them on ebay.
The jack and the space saver tyre take up  some room in the already small boot, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

The Count

Quote from: Stuart Thomson on December 22, 2015, 02:31:47 PM
Yep, probably never had one.  My daughter had a GTV, no spare, just a can of stuff, no jack.

And, if you want a trolley jack to fit under the sills, you have to get one of the lightweight "racing" jacks...

Cheers
Stuart
Stuart... If you're a bit sneaky you don't need a racing jack for the spider. You can use a small trolley in in jack (mine is from SupaCheap) and slide under the sill a little in front of the rear jacking point then roll it back under the jacking point. I did this on flat level concrete in my shed and it's a tight but easy fit! Will post pic later as my phone will not upload it.

The Count

Pics of trolley jack under our 1999 Spider 2.0 TS

agent86

My 98 GTV V6 has a jack and a space saver spare. Jack sits inside spare and both take up much of the boot space, just enough room for a weekend or a couple of slabs! Jack is a small wind up device that looks a little like a railway bridge triangular support that shortens in length as it winds upwards.
Current Alfa's/etc
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 Tropical Green
2003 BMW 320i Touring
Priors
1974 Piper Yellow Berlina 2000 
1970 Red Berlina 1750 won best Alfa sedan at 2007 Auto Italia ACT
1968 Burgundy Berlina Mk1
1970 Navy Berlina
1970 White Berlina
1968 White Berlina Mk1 full Webasto roof

phri

My gtv also has no spare or jack.I am looking for a jack and this isn't that easy as the gtv is too low for most jacks. Now I have to put the car on blocks before the jack fits... not handy

jim501

My Spider has no spare, and the previous owner sourced a jack to suit. Was from a Barina apparently. I've used it and it's fine.

alanm

I have come across a couple of UK forums – can't think which – where people reported the failure of the factory supplied GTV jack. As I recall, they say that the GTV jack is a different/inferior design to the 156 jack. If anyone is looking to source a jack from a wreckers it might be better to go for the 156 jack rather than the GTV/spider jack.
Cheers,
Al.
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33