Thermo fan 90

Started by The Count, February 10, 2016, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Count

Have discovered that the thermo fan on my 90 is not kicking in at all. When the switch cuts in, the fan motor starts but blades do not turn so we are overheating in traffic. Can I use an after-market replacement rather than trying for an Alfa one? Has anyone done this - if so, advice would be appreciated. Will also need a new radiator soon...can these be recored or are replacements easily available?

VeeSix

Fan motor works but blades not turning, I have not come across that one before, fan not secured to shaft or internal motor problem, you can use any fan as long as it is of similar dimensions to the original, from my experiences no one will repair plastic radiators, someone mentioned on here before that is because longevity can not be guaranteed, if you decide you want to go original replacement parts I have everything in stock with warranty  :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

GTVeloce

Is it the same as a 75? I have a spare working 75 fan if you are interested. I just hadn't got around to advertising it yet!

The Count

Further update.....

After discovering that the old fan acutally did work (after bypassing the thermo switch) - it sounded like it was on its last legs so decided to do the following:

Removed faulty fan unit and disassembled to find the initial disgnosis pretty accurate! The fan motor is totally shot with the bearing partly disintegrated and the entire brush holding plate so warped and burnt from running hot that it was ready to fall apart.
Bought an interim replacement from SCA (a Calibre 14 inch) and will have to make up some special brackets to get it to fit properly (will take pics and document the adaption if anyone is interested?) as I don't want to use the Calibre fan instructions to mount through the radiator (pretty sure that will do some damage if not in the short term then in the longer term with vicbration and wear).
However, I would relly like to keep the 90 as original as possible so am on the hunt for a fan motor in good condition so that I can clean up the old fan blade and shroud, repaint the shroud and refit the whole thing. I suspect that the fan motor ( a Veglia unit) is the same for both the 90 and the 75 as both share same engine layout.
Soooo... will post on Wanted to Buy shortly but, if you have (or know someone who has) a fan motor in good nick, please PM!!
More to come
Nick

The Count

The after-market fan is now fitted and, if you are interested in how it was done, see the attached.

Comments/suggestions welcome.

Nick