Alfa 33 1.5 1985 koni inserts

Started by jorritkooistra, January 31, 2016, 08:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jorritkooistra

Hello,

I want to upgrade my suspension of the 33. So im after some koni's and lowering springs. I dont know the to go adresses in australia, so i thought id be better of asking here. Im located in brisbane. Iff anyone can point me in the right direction would be briliant.

Kind regards Jorrit

Sent from my Agora 4G using Tapatalk

colcol

I tried to buy Koni's in Australia about 6 months ago, couldn't find them anywhere.
Ended up getting them reconditioned in Queensland by a Koni dealer there, after the Koni dealer in Vermont, Victoria, told me that they no longer make spare parts for them.
Was going to import some 33 struts from anywhere, mostly England, if someone couldn't recondition my Koni's.
The carriage of complete struts from the UK was horrendous.
If you go down the path of lowered springs you will most likely have to modify the dampers as the spring rates will be higher and the dampers won't be using all their travel.
The 85 Alfa 33 struts are the same from 1983 till 1986.
The struts were then changed 1986 onwards.
They are different to Alfasud series 3 struts.
I sent heaps of emails all around Australia for dampers, but Koni don't make them anymore.
Very poor service from Koni, as part of the reason you buy from this long time Dutch company is that you can always get them reconditioned.
But there is no one like me that keeps their car for so long, i have had my 33 for 30 years coming up Easter, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

jorritkooistra

Ah oke, i understand. Its very difficult to get them. I can import a set from italy, iff they are willing to ship here. Cheap to 60€ for 1 front strut. Im better off arranging that then i think.

ScottS

'91 Alfa 33 16V QV

jorritkooistra

Link doesnt work when i click on it. But i found a parts list as well

ScottS

'91 Alfa 33 16V QV

amichie

Just a note. My series 3 Alfasud TI QV has the same part number. i.e 86-2303.

86-2303 is the standard Koni red and 86-2303 Sport is the Koni yellow. Neither are gas pressurised.

jorritkooistra

Found a set in italy. They're being shipped to my parents in holland and then i have to find a way to get them here...

colcol

Thats great news, when i went to the Victorian KONI Dealer, they had all the part numbers, but the dampers were no longer available.
It is quite an easy job to install, grind a 45 degree chamfer on the top of the damper housing strut and the old damper just falls out, then drill a 12 mm hole in the bottom of the strut for the bolt to hold the damper in.
Remember back in the day, the troublesome SPICA dampers, would leak, just sitting on the spare parts shelf, the dealer at the time showed them to me, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

jorritkooistra

Yeah ive installed them before. Quite easy. You can even weld a 2 cm tube on the bottem of the old strut. Make the hole bigger, so the strut mounting tube falls in there. That way you basically shorten the shocks by 2 cm. That way there is more travel when you have lower springs then usual. Do i make sense? Haha

jorritkooistra

Now i need to get some springs, any idea where i can get those in australia?