Alfa 156 JTS questions

Started by Mash85, February 02, 2016, 07:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mash85

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a manual 156 JTS soon. I had a look at and test drove one on Sunday and apart from the central lcd screen being stuffed (pretty sure I read this is a common issue) I noticed the air con was pretty hopeless. Holding my hand up to the vent it was blowing out cold air but there just wasn't enough of it. I suspect on a mid 30's to 40's day it would have no hope of keeping up. Is this about right for the 156, or should it be stronger?

Is there anything else I should be aware of? I've done a fair bit of reading on here and know about timing belts being done, and it needing full synthetic oil and the fact it would probably use a bit of oil. Anything else I should know? Do they have rust issues or anything like that?

Cheers

Marshall

Mick A

Hi Marshall.

Most likely the cabin filter/pollen filter hasn't been changed in a long time and is restricting airflow.
It could also be that someone hasn't correctly fastened the filter cover and it isn't sealing properly so the fan isn't as efficient.

-Mick

alfagtv152

Hi Marshall,
I have a 2004 156 JTS TI Sillyspeed that I have had since May last year and I have had a few things to do so far. The first issue was when I picked it up from the truck depot it started on 3 cyl cold and then came good after it went through its warm up functions, running on 4 but often very rich with black smoke. I tried for months to clean out the injectors with injector cleaner as it was always missfire on cyl 3 in the fault codes but that didnt ever come good and it wasn't caused by anything other than the injector. I recently replaced the injectors and inlet box and cats for a very low km set and it runs perfect now,no missfires and no black smoke anymore. So I guess you need to see the car start up from dead cold to be sure it ok. The rich running etc is supposed to poison (block up) the cats.
Check that all the warning lights come on with the first turn of the key,read my post about air bag light. Make sure the check engine light doesn't come on or isn't on as they have 4 oxy sensors and 2 cats which there is a bit of chatter about.
The JTS engines suffer from carbon build up around the inlet valves and manifold as no fuel flows through the inlet tract.
I have an issue with the info center which I have not fixed yet.
Apart from that it goes like stink with that 166 hp and I am having a ball with the sillyspeed gearbox,I am going to sprint it starting Feb 21st.
Cheers
Andrew
SEE YOUR BACKSIDE TRACKSIDE.White 156 TI JTS,Silly Speed.

colcol

Thermostats, Thermostats, Thermostats, Thermostats and Thermostats, thats how many i have gone thru in my JTS, if they fail and they do, the engine will run too cold and the computer will richen up the fuel mixture and it will block up the two cats and clog the cylinder heads.
The car should be up to 90c after about 5 kilometres, and on the freeway it should sit on 90c, if it drops back then the thermostat needs replacing.
They are not a $15 job from Repco, but about $150, as they are an assembly with a casting and pipes coming out, the expensive thermostats have a sensor on them, the cheaper ones do not and you have to use the old sensor.
I don't know what the best brand is, for all you know, they all come out of the same factory with a different coloured box.
I have had 2 Genuine Alfa Romeo BEHR, a genuine BEHR, an Italian Facet, an Italian Trident and they all seen to last about the same.
I am working my way thru all the different brands of thermostats on the market, there are about 4 brands to go, so i should be thru them in the next few years.
I would never of thought of a thermostat as a consumable, the thermostat in the 33 has outlasted about five 156 thermostats, but it was a motor designed by Alfa Romeo not Fiat.
I might have to get a Hitler Rant going on Youtube about 156 thermostats, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mash85

Hi guys, great thanks for the advice. Definitely given me some things to keep an eye out for.

Col, on average how long are the thermostats lasting you?

colcol

On an average, the thermostats are lasting about 2 years for the 156 JTS and about 20 years for a 33...ha ha ha.
Another thing to watch out for is the coolant pipe that runs from the right hand side to the left hand side of the cylinder head, it usually leaks on the right hand side where it connects into the cylinder head, it is a P.I.T.A., as the serpentine belt and air conditioning compressor has to come off to get at it.
The seal that is on the plastic pipe leaks, it is a rectangle shape that has only two bolts holding it in, when four would have been better, but the accountants at Fiat said no.
I had trouble getting one, ie tried almost everywhere and couldn't get one, so i used an o ring, but it leaked slightly, but not as bad as before.
Ended up getting a seal from Italian Automotive Spares in Brunswick, fitted the seal and it didn't leak.
Keep an eye out for pink coolant on the offside front of the engine bay, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Mash85, newer Alfa Romeo's sold the last 20 years, don't have rust issues, that was the bad old days, but every one down the pub still thinks its an a problem, you cannot make bad cars anymore, cause you go broke, as there are too many good cars out there, Colin.

Craig_m67

All brands of new cars have issues with corrosion, Google Mercedes

Re recent Alfas

Alfa 156 floorpans have been known to rust in the Uk.
Alfa 156 lower front bumper bar from supports (inside front wheel arch) rust badly
Alfa 156 GTA front wings all cars and rear arches on GTA Sportwagons are known to rust

Alfa 159 front chassis subframes are known to rust (inside out) - UK

I'm sure there are more, simply check the car properly
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Neil Choi

Your reference is to rust in the UK, due to using salt on the road.  As far as I am aware, we are in sunny Australia, I doubt we use salt our roads other than perhaps briefly in the Alps during ski season.

Well, I guess rust will occur faster if you live by the sea.

Craig_m67

Seriously ?

I responded to the statement that newer Alfas don't have rust issues anymore.
It's simply false with regards any manufacturer

I mentioned (some of the) issues evidenced in the UK.  There are likely more. I find it hard to believe that all occurrences of rust in the UK Alfa are only the result of salted roads. In anycase, the salt only increase the likely hood of rust in poorly protected areas. They will rust in the same poorly protected places here too.. Just slower.

That said, I've seen rust on 156's in Australia... Especially the lower front bumper supports

Personally I'd prioritise the mechanical condition of any newer Alfa in Aust.over rust as they're usually poorly maintenaned and when they are rarely with OE or OEM parts.  But then the original poster asked specifically for information about rust.

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

colcol

If they are in an accident and are poorly repaired then they will rust, such as wheel arches full of bog and rust proofing not reapplied, but in Australia, we don't put salt on the roads.
But compared to old era Alfa Romeo's and 70's and 80's cars, they are good, Colin.

poohbah

The only place I had any visible rust issues on my 2001 156 was a couple of 5 cent piece sized blisters near the top seal of the rear windscreen, which I was able to tidy up myself. My car spent its whole life near the beach.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

dcc236

156 JTS manuals are exceptional value for money. I have bought two over 8 months. a 2003 sedan and a 2006 sedan for $2,000 and $3,000. In each car I replaced the info display screen and thermostat in the first few days of ownership. I then did timing belts and on the 2006 car I also did a front end refresh with new control arms, dampers and sway bar links.

I am convinced the air cond in the 156 is just poor. I have now owned three 156 JTS' and the AC has always been crap when compared to my Citroen, Peugeot and various Audi's.

Modern Alfa's do not rust.

colcol

Before you condemn the 156 air conditioning, make sure that the pollen filter has been changed, the filters put in the right way and any dirt removed from around the filter housing and the cover installed properly.
Also if you have the air conditioner serviced, have the receiver drier replaced and the system vacumned down to remove all moisture and proper R134 refrigerant gas charged in, with all these things done properly, it will go from crap to average, Colin.

dcc236

I disagree. The HVAC system in the 156 is just plane rubbish when compared with those in euro cars of a similar age.
One of my three 156 JTS' was a brand new 2006 model bought new from the Brisbane dealer in early 2007. It went back for AC work three times in my first 14 days of ownership.