Alfa 156 JTS questions

Started by Mash85, February 02, 2016, 07:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garibaldi

Quote from: colcol on February 23, 2016, 09:37:36 PM
Before you condemn the 156 air conditioning, make sure that the pollen filter has been changed, the filters put in the right way and any dirt removed from around the filter housing and the cover installed properly.
Also if you have the air conditioner serviced, have the receiver drier replaced and the system vacumned down to remove all moisture and proper R134 refrigerant gas charged in, with all these things done properly, it will go from crap to average, Colin.

Col, lets face it, they are crap. My 147 has the most pathetic air conditioning out of any car I have ever owned. And yes it has been serviced, the pollen filters replaced etc etc etc. :o

colcol

I only wish that my air conditioner worked as good as a 147, with that big air diffuser in the centre and those big multi adjustable eyeball vents at the side, if you think your 147 is bad, try a 156, small air vents, that only adjust 90 degrees, so they just miss your face, but keep the steering wheel at a nice cool temperature, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

josh18

Hey guys, we have just picked up a JTS wagon. It's obviously been looked after but needs a few things done to it. But all in all it seems like a great car, particularly compared to some of the boring alternatives that are around in the same or double price range. I need to do the thermostat as mine has exactly the same symptoms as Colin described, hopefully the cats aren't stuffed (Colin are the cats the big cans incorporated into the header or are they further back).
We live in Darwin so a good A/C was a priority. Thankfully ours seems to work very well. It doesn't seem to blow really strongly but after a few minutes the car is easily cool enough. We just got it tinted too and that alone seems to make a difference so that is another option also.

colcol

And when you park your car use a sun blind to stop the build up of heat, west sun blinds in Tasmania make custom blinds to suit a Alfa 156, i purchased on 6 years ago and it works great, no misting from plastic fallout.
The JTS has 2 cats at the front of the car that look like 2 big cans, coming off the headers, if they are blocked due to the car running too cold, then you will get error messages all the time, as they will tolerate being say 5% blocked,  but error when they are 6% blocked for argument sake, Genuine cats are very pricey, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

josh18

Thanks Col, no errors yet so mustn't be too bad