Fuel filler hose

Started by sudseeker, April 29, 2016, 12:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudseeker

How long should a fuel filler hose last.I replaced the short rubber? hose that links the plastic fuel filler pipe to the fuel tank in an Alfasud exactly 2 years ago.The hose is now perforated and fuel is leaking everywhere.When I contacted the supplier(who is not a sponsor of AROCA),they said that 2 years is a substantial amount of time and they seemed uninterested in my story.They suggested that I had been using E10 fuel,which is not the case.I paid $85 for this short piece of hose.I now realise what a mug I was - they saw me approaching from miles out.Or am I being too quick to condemn them?Can someone shed some light on how long this hose should last?

colcol

Mine has been in for 31 1/2 years, but it is a Genuine ALFA ROMEO hose from 1984, not a reproduction made from inferior rubber that they make now.
I have seen a few new ones on Ebay, try another supplier for a new hose, or get a good second hand one from some Alfa Romeo Wreckers, you could try Monza Motors in Bayswater or Milano Spares in Thomastown here in Victoria or try for a new part, Italian Automotive Spares in Brunswick.
Thats why i don't use ethanol in my 33, as the rubber seals are not compatable with ethanol, but you don't know what nasties are used in fuels, always buy a brand name quality fuel, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]