GT or 147?

Started by yrogerguk, April 11, 2016, 07:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yrogerguk

Hi Guys,

Thinking of taking the leap into Alfa Romeo  ownership on the next few months. I'm torn over which model to get. I'd love a late Alfasud ti but they appear unobtainable so that leaves me with either a 147 or a gt. Like the look of them both but unsure which is likely to be the better car. I know it's subjective but thought I'd put it out for opinion.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Greg

pasey25

they are very similar mechanically (so is the 156). I haven't driven a GT but have owned a 156 and a 147. I love the look of the GT. The doors look long and heavy but thats the only put off from my point of view if you're not bothered by having no rear doors.

I think the GT is a much better styled car than the 147 so I'd be searching out one of those if it were me.
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

Alfapride

Really depends on your life style, the 147 is handy as its a hatch and you can fold seats down etc so from a practicality perspective the 147 ticks a lot of boxes. However if you prefer a more sporty look the GT is the way to go.

The twin spark engine in the 147 is great, good on fuel and zippy, the V6 is a monster, amazing engine note and more torquey I'd drive both and see what you prefer.
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

Mick A

The cars are essentially the same, with a different body.

One thing to take note of is that the 147 engine options are the 4 cylinder twin spark, or the 3.2 V6 GTA.

The engine options for the GT are the 3.2 V6 or the 4 cylinder JTS. The JTS is prone to excessive oil use, the twin spark is not. Both V6's are fine and don't burn oil or really give any troubles at all.

The other option you have is manual or selespeed. The selespeed is only available on the GT with the JTS engine. Not the V6. It is available with both engines on the 147, however they are completely different actuators on the V6 and 4 cylinder.

The GTA's version very rarely plays up, but the twinspark's version has inherent problems and also wiring loom issues for some reason only on the 147's.

I advise against buying a selespeed and stick with manual if you go for the 147 twin spark.

Also - The GT JTS selespeed computers are different to the twinspark ones, and the GT seems to have quite rough gear changes, although a little faster than the 147's.

The GT 3.2 headlights often leak and condensation builds up inside, as these cars have Xenon lights, they are quite expensive and prone to issues.

Mick A

Sorry I completely forgot yes the 147 1.9 JTDm is fantastic. Probably the car that will hold it's value the best, and extremely nice to drive. Only issues are the EGR needing a clean every now and then, and the turbo rubber hoses splitting.

can't believe I forgot about the 147 diesel!

prettyboy

I guess the first thing is you have to love the look of the car and that's real personal  :)

My son has a 147JTD Monza and I love driving it - it has great torque and obviously great economy. If you are going to use the car as a daily drive and only drive short distances a diesel may not be the wisest choice - in any brand of car.

Only the limited run 'Ducati Corse' came with the Q2 diff - uinlike a Melbourne dealer who is about to sell a 147JTD on ebay with a statement included that 'all diesels came with a Q2 diff' I let him know the statement was wrong but surprise surprise he has left the statement in and someone will buy the car thinking it has one .... a $1000+ 'option' that's not there

The convenience of a 5 door hatch may be important to you

I have a V6 GT and it is a senstaional car to drive and, personally, think it is one of the nicest looking coupes around .... it's now 6 years old but to me has timeless design appeal. It may not be well known that the rear seats fold down and the space created is astounding but if you have long legs space may be a problem as the drivers seat needs to be further forward than I would like

The GT/147GTA also do not come standard with a Q2 diff and it is a MUST

The recent changing of timing belt and ensuring a metal impellor water pump is installed are essential maintenance items - if you need to do timing belt, watyer pump and q2 diff bank on spending $3000 to bring the car up to scratch .... ie look for one that has already been looked after

Above all else have the car checked over by one of the reoputable and expereinced mechanics that support the Alfa Club

By the way ... if you only want an automatic  >:( ... I would suggest you try and find a really low k's 156 V6 ... that may be easier said than done

Happy hunting