75 TS heater/aircon fan fire.

Started by bowds116, February 22, 2016, 11:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowds116

In an old post I see that MD has posted some photos of cleaning and reconditioning the in dash heater unit.

(160 Series (90, 75, 164 Sedans) / Re: What are the HVAC recirc air inlet 'diffusers' meant to look like?)

My daughter was driving her 75 when the cabin filled with smoke. Fortunately, she had just left home, so I was able (with some friendly bystander help) able to extinguish the small blaze. (It went out once the battery was disconnected). Once I removed the dash, I found the source (as in the attached photo).
So..... any chance you get in these older cars, clean and maintain! Another hard lesson learnt :-[ :'( >:(
current : 1980 Alfetta GTV 116 (w/TS running gear)
              2001 156 TS manual
             1998 GTV V6

bowds116

I opened up the replacement fan unit and found that it had the standard amount of foliage....
yes this is the "new" one.
              2001 156 TS manual
             1998 GTV V6

Garibaldi

Quote from: bowds116 on February 28, 2016, 09:49:36 PM
I opened up the replacement fan unit and found that it had the standard amount of foliage....
yes this is the "new" one.
Now I know why they catch on fire!  :o

Darryl

Not quite a pollen filter but some flyscreen mesh (the metal kind, not plastic) stretched over the area in front of windscreen (you will figure it out, mount it under the plastic finned thing the wipers go through and other edge under the rubber seal on the front of the opening) seemed to do the job to stop the 75 collecting quite as much foliage (not only does it collect in the fan - it clogs up the drain tube and trapped decomposing damp leaves promote rust). I'm sure the design of the 75 improved the ventilation vs the Alfetta but it collects more than just air....

bowds116

Yep,  that's the plan Darryl....once I put it all back together and remove all the extinguisher agent!
BTW,  here is the inside of the burnt one.. it was definitely friction + compacted dry leaves + very hot weather = fire!
              2001 156 TS manual
             1998 GTV V6

Darryl

:o Definitely far nastier than a boring 159 fan control module meltdown (toxic smoke or not...).