2.0 Twin spark oil consumption

Started by warsch, December 04, 2017, 05:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warsch

Hi all.

I have a problem with 2.0 twin spark in my 2006 147. The motor has 145,000k on the clock and it is eating up oil at a rate of 1 liter per 1000 km. There are no apparent oil leaks and no oil comes out of exhaust pipe. I don't hear any bad knocks or anything, however the engine sounds a bit rough to me (compared to another twin spark in my other car). I'm using 5W-40 Penrite HPR5 full synt. The car travels about 15,000 per year. I bought the car this way, unfortunately. I am really happy with the car's condition otherwise. Suspension, brakes, interior, exterior, heck, even selespeed, are all in very good nick. So I'm not inclined to sell it.

At such a rate I assume it's the piston rings, rather than valve stem seals.

Now I'm trying to figure out what are my options.

1. Do not do anything, keep driving and adding up oil. Not the best long term solution, but will let me save some dough to get it done properly.

2. Trying to use one of these engine (combustion chamber) cleaners. Supposedly they help to clean up tar build up on pistons and valves. Some people had good results with that. I will give it a crack anyway but don't hold my hopes up high.

3. Replacing valve stem seals and piston rings. Cleaning up pistons. Is this possible without the engine out? Does it make any sense to try this option?

4. Replacing the engine with a second hand one. The replacement engine may be in the same condition, no way of knowing for sure.

5. Complete and proper engine rebuilt. This option will solve the problem but I don't believe it to be practical due to costs.

Would like to hear any feedback, especially regarding the estimate costs on options 3-5 and some guesses on how much the engine can last if I opt for option 1.

Thanks

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

So there's no credence in the story that for a brief production "window" the TS engines were built with a bore/piston condition which predicated thirst for oil?

warsch

Internet says that Alfa changed piston design when they went from CF2 to CF3 twin spark. In particular, they removed holes behind oil piston rings which supposedly caused extra oil consumption in older and unkempt engines

Garibaldi

My 147 used oil at the same rate  :o, from what I understand this is normal for these engines. I used to run it on Castrol Edge 10W60 full synthetic. Just check the oil regularly and you will be fine.

poohbah

Another suggestion - about a year ago, my 156 V6 was using a lot more oil than usual too, but I couldn't see any obvious leaks. Turned out to be the seal/thread on the oil sender unit - but seemed to only leak while on the move (I assume due to being under pressure while engine running). No idea why I couldn't see any obvious trace - but it didn't appear to spot on the ground. I just knew the oil was going somewhere, so I took it to the workshop, and they found it when they put it up on the lift and fired her up.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

bonno

Hi Warsch
Hopefully the change of oil as indicated by BAZZ will/has solved the oil consumption problem. If not, another possible cause could be a faulty PCV valve. Refer to the attached Youtube link to check on faulty PCV valve and associated symptoms.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pCqmw3yWng
If found that the PCV valve is functioning correctly, then refer to a previous post involving a similar problem and associated outcome.
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=16318.msg95419#msg95419

warsch

Quote from: bonno on December 05, 2017, 06:06:07 PM
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=16318.msg95419#msg95419

Thanks, will check PCV first. The method above is exactly my option 3. It seems like the kind of job I am capable of, hopefully. Can combine that with timing belt job. And if I stuff it all up then can go option 4.

bazzbazz

If the PCV Valve gets stuck or the spring breaks or weakens, it WILL cause increased oil use, but it will ALSO cause the car to idle high at between say 1200 - 2500 rpm. This valve is only supposed to open at higher RPM, so when it gets stuck or opens at lower rpm its the same as having an air leak after the Throttle Body, which leans out the mixture, thus the higher idle.

Best way to see if you are losing oil in this manner or similar it to remove the intake piping & throttle body and have a look into the Variable Intake Manifold for trails of oil.

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Warsch, I found the timing and balance belts not hard but a bit tedious. With the torque requirements of the front (exhaust) sprocket bolt you need a good counterhold tool and a good long spanner. I've counterbored my cam locks rather than source alternative bolts.

johnl

Quote from: Citroënbender on December 06, 2017, 05:30:41 AM
I've counterbored my cam locks rather than source alternative bolts.

Ditto.

Regards,
John.

psproule

Quote from: Citroënbender on December 05, 2017, 06:16:01 AM
So there's no credence in the story that for a brief production "window" the TS engines were built with a bore/piston condition which predicated thirst for oil?

Thought it was only the JTS that had these pistons in AU?

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast