sounds like a flat but it isn't - 2006 156

Started by clsport, September 14, 2016, 07:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clsport

I just got my car back from the mechanic today after an 80,000km service and I had the tyres rotated. Now i have a thudding sound front the front left wheel. it sounds like a flat but the tyre is fine. It causing the dash to vibrate slightly. The tyres are due to be changed soon but i've never had this problem before. The tyres are 7" and 8" wide. (mechanic rotated last time and didn't realise the widths). The air pressure is fine.

Any ideas?!

Mick A

Yes the tyre will have a flat spot most likely.

Time for new tyres!

Mick.

clsport

Quote from: Mick A on September 14, 2016, 08:45:59 PM
Yes the tyre will have a flat spot most likely.

Time for new tyres!

Mick.

I've put the spare on (a space saver) and i can still hear something from the left side.

Neil Choi

Wheel bearings?  But you just had the car serviced, so maybe not.

Or put it back to what you had, ie probably rear back to front and see.

MD

Is the front left tyre delaminating? This will show as a small (or large) bubble in the tread area. Sort of opposite to what Mick has diagnosed with which I agree with also as a possibility.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Colin Edwards

Engine undertray loose and flapping in the breeze?
I'd  take it back to your mechanic.
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

bazzbazz

Ok, I know you said it was coming from the left front, and you swapped the left front for the emergency spare, so we know it has nothing to do with the left front tyre/wheel.

It could be one of the other tyres however as at times it can be very deceiving.

Now this is the ultimate at long distance psychic auto maintenance, and just taking a random swipe at causation, but have you driven over any road works lately, where they have been laying down fresh Tar? If so, check ALL tyres on the car and see if you have a lump of tar stuck to a wheel some where. When road works were being done in our area and they were resurfacing both my sons car and mine came down with what we both initially thought were de-bonding tyres, in the same 2 week period.

Now if it were to turn out I am ridiculously right, how many lotto tickets do you reckon I should go and buy? ;)

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au