roll bars out.. how does the bush come off

Started by cc, September 19, 2016, 09:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Hi Guys
1/2 thru taking the alternator out. The roll bar is out so im replacing the bush.. how is the bush and its enclosing metal bracket taken off the bar?
thanks

Craig_m67

Carefully drill it out, split the bush bracket, replace bush and bolt back onto subframe.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

cc

Hi Craig
Which part is being drilled out? The rubber bush? How is the metal bracket split.
Are the bushes and the roll bar meant to be replaced as a unit and so arent designed to be seperated?
Will post pics tomorrow.
cheers

Andrew Bose

You have to drill out the bolt holes as they are joined there, you may also need to modify the new bush to fit as I know I had to do this on the rear one I did.
Andrew

Craig_m67

Quote from: cc on September 19, 2016, 10:53:50 PM
Hi Craig
Which part is being drilled out? The rubber bush? How is the metal bracket split.
Are the bushes and the roll bar meant to be replaced as a unit and so arent designed to be seperated?
Will post pics tomorrow.
cheers

Drill out the side of the bracket opposite the captive nut. Don't ruin the captive nut
Split the bracket and remove the old bush, replace it, bolt it all back to the subframe.
Pay attention to which way it goes when your taking it apart (photograph it)
Make sure not to break the sintered collars on the bar which stop it from sliding in bushes

Original replacement was a new ARB with the bushes fitted.

I'd replace the drop links while you're in there (and the upper and lower wishbones)

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

cc