what is the RAC smoking?

Started by poohbah, January 06, 2017, 12:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Read a newspaper story quoting RAC saying parents should help get their kids into safer, newer cars rather than the old bangers that most of us made do with when we bought our first cars (burnt orange '73 Corolla, bought from my mum - at least it was RWD...).

Fair enough.

The RAC  then went on to say that didn't mean parents had to spend big dollars to get something with all the right safety gear, and listed their top ten safest cars under $15,000 as a guide to what to get your kids ($15K still sounds like a lot to me - my 1st car cost me $500).

Have a look at the list, especially No2 - Hyundai iLoad!!!!

What self respecting teenager wants a bloody delivery van for their first car? Not to mention how any dad might feel if their daughter's prospective boyfriend arrived to pick her up in the geek equivalent of a shaggin' wagon.

I note that with respect to their number 1 choice, Ford Focus, the RAC also makes no comment about the tendency for complete transmission/gearbox failure either...
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

V AR 164

;D ;D ;D

I think I want to sell all my cars and buy an iLoad!! Imagine the perfect 50/50 weight distribution with perfect handling and an exterior no one can resist! I wonder if there is a Spettacolo event for the iLoad???

This brings me onto another topic, why spend 15k on a van when you can pick up an older 2000's model Mercedes (for example) with a V8 for probably less than 15k with much more character, a ton of features and would be just as safe.

Today's cars have just lost all personality. They have gotten bigger, heavier, safer and loose all sense of actually driving and controlling the machine.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

poohbah

Or you could just go for a post 2002+ 156 V6 with 190 bhp, 7 airbags, ABS and ESC - usually for less than $7k.

Even my first series 1 (late 2001) had all of the above, except the ESC, which became standard thereafter.

My current '99 model has to make do with 2 airbags and ABS...
            1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Quote from: poohbah on January 06, 2017, 01:05:01 PM
My current '99 model has to make do with 2 airbags and ABS...

MY GOD! A DEATH TRAP!   ::)

For the reasons mentioned above, is why I help so many parents get their kids into a decent 147, cheap as chips, more safety features than a teenage can spell, and brilliant handling for a FWD Hatch.

AND most importantly, because it has an air of "eliteness" a car that the kids WANT to drive, how many of their friends can say "I drive an Alfa Romeo". Lets face it, it does sound better than a Camry!  ;D

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

How cool would you look pulling into the school car park in this? ... and for only $2500!

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ascot/cars-vans-utes/2001-alfa-156-2-5-v6-6-months-rego-/1134819217

1981 GTV

bazzbazz

Well somebody must have, its sold already!   ;D

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

poohbah

1981 GTV

Thijsvr

Haha, I've had half a dozen cars and a couple of motorcycles in the ten years I've had my license, but never one even close to 15k. I'm sure RAC means well, but to me 15k is a serious amount of money for any car, especially a first car.

poohbah

Just going back to that RAC list - only 3 of the ten are even cars. All the rest are SUVs or commercials. Again, must be some good sheeeeet getting smoked at RAC headquarters if that's their idea of ideal teenager transport.
            1981 GTV

Thijsvr

Quote from: poohbah on January 06, 2017, 10:46:44 PM
Just going back to that RAC list - only 3 of the ten are even cars. All the rest are SUVs or commercials. Again, must be some good sheeeeet getting smoked at RAC headquarters if that's their idea of ideal teenager transport.

In their defence my first car was a beat up panel van and it really taught me how to drive. I had to learn to drive on my mirrors, look over my shoulder really well, that sort of things. No crap in the cabin to distract me. There has never been a car, van, truck or whatever I had trouble driving after that.

poohbah

Quotebeat up panel van

Sandman or Drifter (or the completely forgotten Sundowner)?

1981 GTV

Barry Edmunds

Another good theory from an organisation with vested interests but, as usual, completely ignoring the much cheaper and vastly more beneficial alternative, one that could actually save lives - TEACHING people how to drive properly and not simply putting them through the licence testing process.
Perhaps if more emphasis had been placed on actually teaching people how to drive properly years ago the automotive industry may not have had to resort to spending billions on safety features that have become required because of the abject failure of all governments to address the subject of driver education.
This has resulted in successive generations of drivers believing that all the safety features in their cars will save them. A bit like Get Smart's Cone of Silence.
All the safety features in the world will simply not protect drivers/passengers or overcome lack of driver skills and inadequate training.
BE

Italian Supermodel

Hear Hear..Barry.....!!
Well said matey.
There's 90% apathy , 8% informed ,knowledgable & conscientious who's opinion are disregarded and suppressed.......by the 2% indebted and in bed with government beauracracy and 'expert' law manipulators.

Its , give out a licence...provide substandard driving conditions , then whack the transgressors and get them off the roads physically and financially.  Brilliant.

Thijsvr

Quote from: poohbah on January 06, 2017, 11:57:39 PM
Quotebeat up panel van

Sandman or Drifter (or the completely forgotten Sundowner)?

Haha, nah I'm from Europe, so nothing like those unfortunately. I had a green manual 1996 Peugeot Partner with faded paint and a 1.9 non-turbo diesel. Was the company car of my parents and when trading it in they got a lowball offer of 500 euros or something, so they gave it to me instead. Awesome first car.

poohbah

After my first hand-me-down car from Mum (I only kept it for about 6 months) I mostly owned big old Aussie station wagons for the next 15 years - 71 Valiant Safari, 75 Valiant, 78 Kingswood, and 59 Holden FC. Brilliant for lugging band gear around, going bush, sleeping in the back, and cool looking with their own special beat-up retro style.

The driving experience was not exactly dynamic - but they did teach me to be a bit more patient in traffic, especially spatial awareness. The 71 Safari also had a big 245 Hemi with extractors, and with no load in the back, could get pretty squirrelly when you put your foot down, so it also taught me how to control a fishtail!
            1981 GTV