Question about Alfa 156

Started by Matthew W, August 26, 2008, 10:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew W

Actually, I intend to buy second hand used car (Alfa 156). Unfortunately, Im not familiar to this lovely car. Therefore, I want someone can give me an advise.
I found two second hand cars.
1. Alfa 156 JTS manual 2002, 75000kms , Blue color with sunroof
2. Alfa 156 JTS selespeed 2002, 85000kms, Black color.

As the semi-auto gear box is it good or not? Is there many trouble on it?
Should I choose manual or semi-auto?

The re-sell price which one would be better?
Do I need to do many services for the car? ( I scared to pay many money after i bought the car)

PS: 156 JTS is it much better than JT?
Thanks

John Hanslow

Many smlar questions have been posted lke yours as these cars are filtering thru the used car market.  All of them are valid.

Have a good lok at our other  156 threads and related topics on your queries as these questions have been asked before.

However, do you perfer a manual car, and what s your budget?  Some people prefer the selespeed (a manual with a robotic clutch of sorts) and others do not.

The selesped gearbox was improved wih the updated model release in about 2002/2003 so its much better than the early models.  Motoring enthusiasts have stated previously that the values of the 156 selespeed 'should' be lower than the manual due to the cost of repair or replacement of the problem parts in the selespeed.  However the realty that the value overall may have been lowered on all models.

So ONLY buy a car with a proven service record and any potential costs for repair/roadworthy are a negotiation on the price in your favour.  Be sure to get a prepurchas inspecton.  That is one you pay for so you get the facts and cost estimates on any repair etc. 

Join the club, check ou the Sponsors page link on the top left of the home page and ring check out a local Alfa Dealer or alternatively a local Alfa Specalist.  Best of all, come to th next club meeting and talk to people. 

Cheers and good luck.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi Matthew,
John's comments are spot on.
From the feedback I hear about Selespeed, if the potential to spend money concerns you, look to the manual.
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Matthew W

Thank you for your advice.
I would prefer to spend around 15k to buy a car.
Do you think 15k to buy 2002 85000kms is it worth?

John Hanslow

Check out 156's on Carsales, Carpoint and Drive for sales comparisons.  Get an idea of price and kms.

But do not forget, has regular and full service been done.  For that prive you would expect a car always guaraged, great condition  and full service record.

There are plenty around, so you can compare, negatiate price and you have time on your side. 

Regards.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata