Unregistered 1986 GTV6 For Sale. Some restoration required

Started by Mickael Cox, August 26, 2008, 06:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickael Cox

Hello all,
For Sale is my 1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6. She was going to be a restoration project, but it's after two years of little use it's time for her to go to a new home. The car is unregistered and is sold as is, without RWC. The car is driveable and is located at Mornington.
Clutch was replaced by previous owner about three years ago, but it's only travelled less than 10,000 km since then. Gearbox engagaes all gears smoothly and is in good condition. Until a few weeks ago I would have said the same of the engine - it was revving happily to redline and blew no smoke or consumed excessive oil, however after listing on ebay she started to consume coolant and there's the familiar white residue under the oil cap. The oil dipstick still shows clean oil however and the engine still runs well. It actually consumes it's coolant when running the heater - will devour the entire resevoir, while without the heater on it loses about an inch a day. There's no evidence that there's a problem with the heater box as there's no moisture inside the cabin. Any clues of what exactly is happening would be appreciated. There's moisture at the back of the engine but no obvious holes in hoses or clamps.

The interior presents pretty well for it's age, there's a cigarette burn in the back and a small one on a front seat, s small tear in the side piping of the driver's seat and the fronts are a bit faded, but generally the interior presents well, all door linings and carpets nice and black. The dash has the usual few cracks but all instruments and buttons work (except the clock), even power mirrors still work. Power window motors are a bit tired but still work. Part of the trim around the handle of the sunroof is broken but I do have it.

New windscreen was fitted earlier in the year, and bottom oil sump gasket replaced to fix an obvious leak. The car is running michelin tyres with about 70% life left on rears, fronts need replacing. Running alfa 75 rims as the originals a bit seconf rate, although again I do still have them

Other items identified as needing to be addressed for a roadworthy;
Biggest item is the right rear brake caliper is leaking brake fluid and needs to be replaced or refurbished, so while the car is driveable, the brake pedal is soft
Tail shaft centre bearing
Rear inner drive shaft boots
Adjust right front wheel bearing
Wipers not self cancelling
Splitpins missing from lower ball joints
Right hand steering rack boot
Left hand front guard indicator mechanism missing. (lens there, but there's nothing behind it)
Headlights may need attention for RWC
Brake pads and rotors marginal

Needs a wheel alignment, the car was running very low to the ground but we have returned it to standard height at the front. The car runs Koni red adjustable shocks at the front, but we do not know their age
Driver's side outer door handle has snapped, although there's still enough remaining to be able to open the door.
Duco is faded and needs attention, front left quarter has a different blue which is the upshot of not being around when a minor dent was repaired. The car is good for rust, however under the window of the tail gate is a problem area, although I do have a spare tailgate (red) with no rust which I will throw in should you wish it. There is also a small amount in the small wheel recess.

Having said all that she presents ok and is nice and straight apart from the rear bumper being pushed up to the rear body work from a minor altercation at some point in her history. Due to the head gasket issue I'm only after $1,500. I was originally selling due to a forthcoming wedding, but after the evidence of the gasket I'm only going to list it here as I'd like to see her go to an alfisti home. (It did do one round of ebay before the engine revealed herself)
If interested drop me a line druid1@iprimus.com.au or 0359886097. Can email pics
Cheers,
Mike

Mickael Cox