2000 156 TS - centre muffler broken

Started by MattK, February 07, 2018, 10:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazzbazz

Dexron II or III ATF fluid will do nicely for the power steering.

As for the fuel gage the problem will be  the fuel sender, which is part of the "in tank" fuel pump. You need to buy a new fuel pump (check eBay or Supercheap - just make sure it is correct for your year & model)

On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bonno

Matt
Dexron 111 Power steering fluid is the recommended product for your car refer to Penrite website link http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/

MattK

MattK

Update - replacement centre muffler arrived today, quite different to the original, with a cat and a resonator tacked together I think. Much smaller overall:

Took my exhaust guy an hour plus to fit it because the rear flange was pressed not machined, and was slightly the wrong size by a very small margin so it leaked. After a few tries he cut the rear off the original and welded it onto the replacement, which worked fine after some size adjustment.
Old cat shed a flake of metal when he pulled it off - must have been what blocked the exhaust and led to power loss that time.

Seems fine after all that - no apparent change in power etc but the death rattle is gone. Thanks to everyone for their help.

MattK

One thing I will say is it's louder - not in a good way necessarily, just more low frequency noise under the floor. I tend to prefer induction noise to exhaust anyway.

Gtv6

Hi guys,

Im experiencing the exact same issues as described in this thread (tinny sound above 3k) but mines a 2001. Any advice?

MattK

Take it to an exhaust place and have them confirm it's the centre muffler?