Non-Alfa new toy.....

Started by ugame, February 26, 2018, 06:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ugame

After years of chasing the Italian prancing horse, and never quite having a long enough rope to lasso myself one, I......

Well...... I went on a Road Trip with a mate in his Porsche 997 is what I did.

And from that moment on, I began a renewing of my mind.

Why spend a lifetime chasing a car I may never be able to comfortably maintain, when, for a 1/3 of the price, I could have 99% of the car.

So I began researching Porsches, and Cayman's in particular.

I needed to drive one, so I popped to a dealer just to "see what one felt like".

After 5 minutes I silently thought to myself "This was a mistake".

I'd gone there to try "A" Cayman.

What I'd accidentally done was found "THE" Cayman.

Silver Cayman S 987.1 6 speed manual.

1 collector owner.

2007 so 10 years old

And in all that time, it had done 44,000k's.

The car presents as if new.

And was being sold on consignment by the ONLY Porsche Dealer in Perth.

Fast forward 3 weeks and the car is now mine. I collected it on the weekend, and I have ZERO regrets.

Now some of you will say "987.1...oooh better budget for a replacement engine" but.....BUT.......

again, I've done my research and I wont loose sleep over it any more than I'd loose sleep going "I've researched the human body, and we'll all die of heart attacks because I read some human hearts fail".

It's been well looked after and I'll continue to look after it equally well for....well probably for the rest of my life.

This is the big one for me.  The search is over. This is my last big toy.

So without further a do........

CaymanS987

CaymanSBack

CaymanCollection

CaymanHome

Tunnel Blast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm2lBKsejIU

Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.

poohbah

Nice new toy mate, but you probably won't get many thumbs up on here! 8)
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

hmd

poohbah

Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

GTV-074

Thumbs up from me too!

A couple of my mates have them, one is about 2007 the other is a 2010 model year, both manual shifters.

I have driven the 2010 model (I think it was the updated one) and its a pearler'

Goes hard, makes all the right noises.

They are great value for money IMHO.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Duk

I'll give a thumbs up too!  8)

Way to go appreciating and experiencing CARS and not just marques.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

Italian Supermodel

What a magnificent acuasition Ugame.
I love my Alfas but seeing the images of your Cayman and then reading up on it certainly makes me admire your choice.
The 911 turbos from the 80's to this modern classic have identified Porsche as creating beautiful purpose made machines for the enthusiast to love driving.
For me the Cayman in manual form and 'Our' 4C with its paddles are the two cars of the last dozen years in 2 door guise that have the looks and performance to match .

PS.  I love the T-shirt in the photo.
   What's the old saying?......... You can take the boy to the Porsche dealership, but you can't take the shirt off his back.   Bravo 'U'ie!!

ugame

Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

It's still not really sunk in that I actually own this wonderful thing.

I have a 4 day weekend coming up, so I plan to MAKE it sink in by getting some good use out of it :)

And yes I could not resist wearing that T-shirt (A christmas gift) to pick it up.  But the dealer also snapped a photo and truth be told, looking at the photo above, I wish I'd worn nicer trousers and perhaps a jacket. But I'd still proudly include the NINE ONE SIX t-shirt :)

The Salesman I was dealing with at the Porsche dealer, owns (among other cars I'm sure) an 80's Alfetta, so he tells me :)

So I wasn't just wearing the shirt. I took the 147 in the day I went to first view the car, and the GTV 916, the day we went to collect the car.

Driving home in convoy with my lovely wife driving the GTV, and me in the Cayman was a great feeling. I love seeing the GTV in motion, and even though I have the Porsche, the appeal of the GTV's looks has not reduced in the slightest.

No there wasn't a drag race between us on the way home. That would have been pointless for the poor little twin spark.

But when testing the Porsche's exhaust note in the Tunnel (not as shown in the video but the day we collected the car), I did note how quickly the GTV reduced in size in my rear view mirror, and my wife commented on the sound of the Porsche once we got home.

It's home time soon. And I look forward to driving home in the 147, getting home and greeting the wife, and then, just as I did yesterday, and this morning, sneaking into the garage for another look at my Cayman S.
Past: 180SX | 300ZX Twin Turbo | 350Z HR Roadster | 300C 5.7 V8 HEMI | 98 GTV 2.0 TS
Present: 2002 GTV 2.0 TS | 147 TS | 74 Super Beetle | Porsche Cayman S 987.1
Future: I've stopped looking. Wife says "No more Alfas" lol.