"Hot" Renault

Started by poohbah, July 10, 2018, 12:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poohbah

Did anyone else see the final episode of the current Top Gear series (matt leBlanc and Chris Harris) yesterday? Two reasons it was worth watching:

Firstly, they gave an excellent work out to the 2.0L Stelvio vs Range Rover Velar and Volvo XC60 (which no-one will buy after Harris busted the engine mounts on two different models).

And secondly a great video on the new Alpine A110 during which it burst into flames and was destroyed on the Monaco Rally course with Harris and Eddie Jordan on board.

I will admit to a naughty smile of smug self satisfaction at the sight of the little blue demon consumed by flames. (for those who don't understand my joy the hint is in my past...)

That said the A110 does look fantastic, when not exploding  ;D
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Bourney

The Alpine is a fantastic car. A real alternative to a Boxster, Elise and 4C.

Has had rave review as it handles incredibly well partly due to how light it is. Unfortunately only available in auto.

One of many cars top gear has destroyed- would not put me buying one if I had the funds and was manual!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Citroënbender

Remember how the Clio V6s used to burn, too?  :D Clearly Dieppe has got the recipe right - maybe they should have called it (the reissue) a Fuego this time and included an emergency pack of marshmallows and sticks?

I personally hate how pseudo-nostalgia drives this sort of thing, and wish either they would produce 100% replicas of original and just shonk the rules for pollution/safety or say "This was our glorious past, now to an even better future".  I blame social media for much of the problem; a lightweight hit of feel-good nostalgia sustains that dopamine/screen relationship. 

poohbah

I think a reputation of self-immolation is a hallmark of all the great marques judging by recent history (youtube burning Alfa, Porsche, Ferrari etc...)

CB, given that sad retro-trend you mentioned, I am amazed that Citroen hasn't "revived" the 2CV, HV  and DS.
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

They have instituted the DS brand, which is pissweak IMO. 

Even when the Munro was reborn, GM were too gutless to engineer it as a pillarless hardtop, showing yet again the shallowness of it all.

Nostalgia, what a crock.  Where are the revival orphanages, the reintroduction of stealing indigenous children, the people saying "life is so much better without insulin/dialysis/chemo"? 

poohbah

I think there is room for the "retroduction" of cars that were outstanding for their undisputed shiteness - Datsun Sunny, Morris Marina & Allegro (but who would build them? Tata maybe :)  ), Holden Gemini (fastback coupe), Chrysler Centura 4.0 Hemi (my personal choice...)

1981 GTV

Citroënbender

Oh yes, a Marina!  ;D Awesome!

poohbah

I would get a huge chuckle from anyone reproducing a Marina. And even more from anyone who would buy one. I will never forget the wheezy starting sound of my sister's burn orange fastback coupe.
            1981 GTV

Citroënbender

I note with some dismay the pervasive smell of petrol from my 405 Peugeot again this afternoon. No dripping, so it's likely to be a weep where the sender/pump unit drops into the tank.

Citroënbender

There was a murky mid-green, sort of overripe avocado flesh colour.  Beige, and white I remember too. 

Edit: http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=11919&country=uk

poohbah

Ah, the colours that were the background to my formative years.

1981 GTV

bazzbazz

The 70's have a lot to answer for!  ::)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au