Interesting Tactic (Insurance Claim)

Started by Citroënbender, July 10, 2018, 01:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

I've just rebutted an out-of-the-blue letter from a recovery agent, in relation to a fully insured incident more than two years ago.  All I can assume, is my insurer has told the other party where to get off, and now they're trying another tack to claim money.

Will be curious to see if it progresses to a civil claim, I would seek to have it thrown out and expect costs my way. 

bazzbazz

Was Woolies or Youi insurance involved perchance?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

No, the alleged claimants are the insurance arm of a large Japanese motor company.  ;)

simon2

Is the 'recovery agent's' initials VA?

Citroënbender

They're still trying.  ???

I've received another letter of demand, and have responded more firmly than before.

The first letter had "Final Notice" in big red type, this one is in orange, with "Outstanding Amount" in smaller type. Perhaps the next will have yellow ink and just say "Please"?

My rebuttal this time for the curious: 
• They haven't acknowledged my last registered letter to them - although this recent demand was apparently sent after they received it.
• My insurer hasn't contacted me to say "What's going on?" so (implicitly, not written by me) they either told them to take a hike or the recovery agents didn't bother with my insurer because they knew the outcome.
• Due to these relevant details, it's not possible to take any allegations of debt seriously and I will not be responding to any further letters from them about the matter.

simon2, with no other posts in the forum, and an incomplete user profile, I hope you can understand why I didn't respond to your question.

poohbah

CB - have you spoken to your insurer about it? They may be able to confirm that its a try-on.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

Citroënbender

Not yet. If they have another crack, I definitely will - normally a comprehensive insurance PDS indicates that your insurer may provide legal assistance in the event of a claim against you, and generally if they won't, they give reason in writing.

bazzbazz

All you do is ring up your insurer and tell them about it, they'll ask you to email them a copy and tell you they will take care of it.

It has nothing to do with you, (and the scammer knows it), it's all handled by your insurer.

I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago, exact same situation. Woman hit me, was found to be at fault, insurance companies took care of each other, then she had her brother who was a solicitor send a letter of demand wanting me to pay her for all the damage to her car as she believed she was not at fault.

It included the usual threats of doom and destruction. I just called my insurer, sent em a copy, never heard of it again.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au