A new 105 ready for Restoration

Started by Tim Jobson, September 24, 2008, 08:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Jobson

Hi 105 members,

As you can see on the buy/swap/sell section, my search for a 105 is over.

I found finding a blue body /tan interior 105 very difficult so I decided that if i am going to repaint and reinterior, then I prefer to replace worn old stuff rather than redo new work.    That is why I have chosen a car that will need more work than I expected to do, but at $5200 it was worth the risk not being able to start or drive it.

What surprised me was that the owner had owned the car since new, not often this happens.   It has a GTV 200 Alfa Maintenence manual in German and also a 1300/1600 Manual in English.    I will need a workshop manual, however the one I have seen in our motoring book shop is the Brooklands Alfa Giulia and spider Workshop Manual which I think looks like a poor photocopying job.    Is there any other options for workshop manuals!!!

I cant wait to get started on bringing her back to life, does anyone have tips on starting a car after years of layup?

regards tim

1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000
76 Ferrari 308GTB Dry sump fiberglass model
74 Fiat 124 Sport CC, 128SL,850 Sport

shane wescott

Hi Tim

Very Jealous. Spoke to my father in law who has had considerable experience at starting and restoring old military vehicles, most of which have been sitting for years. Here are a couple of his tips.

1. Pull the sparkies and squirt in some light oil (not too much) this is to get a small amoutn around the top of the pistons.

2. check the oil, and if dirty change it. new filter as well. for the first run it is sometimes better (according to the F In Law) to use a lighter oil as it circulates quicker and easier for the first run. Obviously once she has started you would drain this, toss it out and use the rec oil viscosity.

3. From my experience with the standard alfa engine, I would be pulling the rocker cover and checking that the chain was a o.k.

4. See if you can hand crank the engine with no ignition on to circ some oil.

5. check the coolant, again this may need to be drained/changed for the first run.

6. Now from my side you can't go past a good can of "Start Ya Bastard" http://www.nulon.com.au/products.php?productName=Start_Ya_Bastard_Instant_Engine_Starter  If start ya bastard wont get a kick out of it, you have an ignition problem. Take the aircleaner off and give a short squirt down each carby throat.

** side bar true story**  had an alfa 33, broken headlights and a few other issues so left it in the backyard for nearly 5 years. It was covered in couch grass, the grass was growing out of every nook and crannie not occupied by a big spider. CHecked the oil, checked the coolant, put a new battery in, disconnected the ignition coil, and used the starter with the car in first gear to pull itself out of the grass. Once it was out of the grass, gave the carbies a squirt of start ya bastard, and connected the ignition. It gave a few big coughs and farts, and after about 5 minutes it was purring like a kitten - old Alfa's never die- they just become "Summer Projects".

7. Start her up take it easy on revs until it is a bit warm and then you should be o.k.

8. Make sure you give all the hydralics a good going over as with time the lines and seals will probably have perished.

Good Luck

CAtch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

AndrewO

Hi Tim,

Good luck with the work.  The best workshop manulas are the ones from CarDisc on CD.
There should be one for your car.

They are the oringal workshop manuals and owners manuals and parts lists and a heap of other stuff.

Google them, I think about $60 or 70 should get you one.

Andrew

Justin Jacobs

I have just today been to vicroads and registered my 105 project of almost 12 years . Hope your journey will be shorter !
I cant tell you the joy of driving my machine round town and i look forward to the EMR for 105's in October. Have been jealously watching other partake for ages.
Since team Jacobs smashed the track car we have been without any twim cam action.
The 72 GTV 2000 has the dark plum paint with the biscuit interior.
I have some work shop manuals we have used that you are welcome to borrow.
Enjoy , cheers JJ .

Tim Jobson

Thanks JJ and andrew, I have purchased the Cd so I hope I will have all tech info I need.

Your tips on restarting shane sound like the way to go, I will buy some Start you Barstard, will let you know how she fires up!!

regards tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000

Fast Eddie

Well done Tim,
look forward to hearing all about your progress.
Maybe you would consider preparing a small article on "how to get a car that hasnt been driven for a decade started in 5 easy steps" for the WA club mag?
Edward
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Tim Jobson

Well it has been an interesting couple of weeks crawling over the car.

Before I try to crank it over I would like to turn the engine over by hand, now what is the best way to do this as there does not seem enough room to get a socket and wrench on the crankshaft nut? do you have to take the radiator out to do this?

Secondly what are the recommended rating for the fuses, the hand book and the CD I purchased ( not as good as I had hoped) do not give the fuse ratings, can any one advise what they should be for a 2000GTV 105.

cheers tim

1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000

Gary Pearce

The ceramic fuses are mostly 8 amp(or 10), with heavier draw items like high beam lights, cig lighter and rear demister 12 amp (or 15) Don't sweat too much as 15 amp fuses will still save your wiring from frying if there is a problem. You can pick up a multi-pack with a variety of ceramic fuses from Repco.
To spin the engine over first time, pull the plugs out, squirt some lube down the plug holes like CRC or light oil and just crank it over with the starter. If it won't turn with a reasonable battery then I'm afraid you will have to pull out the radiator to get on to the crank.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Davidm1600

And don't forget about the "Start ya Bastard" !!! as mentioned by Shane.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Tim Jobson

Thanks gary, I have 8amp fuses in all except No1 fuse, do you know what the recommended Fuse is?

Yes dave I have a can of the start juice, if you hear a scream some time over the weekend you know I did not have any luck starting her!

Cheers Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000