Custom windscreen sunshade

Started by Evan Bottcher, October 17, 2014, 08:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

Here's my unsolicited testimonial for Grant at West Sun Shades http://www.westsunshades.com.au/.  After Uncle Col mentioned them in another thread I made contact, looking for a custom shade for my 'new' Alfasud.  He didn't have a pattern for the Sud but within a few days had located a suitable car down in Tassie and made a new pattern.  Prompt delivery and easy to deal with.  The cover fits perfectly, particularly it sits right into the groove in front of the dash so the full vinyl top of the dash is protected from the sun.

Recommended.  Thanks for the tip off Colin.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

colcol

Stumbled across West Sunshades on Ebay, and purchased on for the 156, was so impressed, got another for the 33, the ones you buy at Autobahn / Supercheap / Bursons are rubbish compared to these, as they fit your car perfectly, and because they are not made of cheap materials, they don't bleed plastic mist onto your windscreen.
An important car accessory for your Alfa Romeo, as they keep the temperature down in summer, a must for 156 owners with crappy airconditioners and they stop the instruments and interior fading.
I have a collection of instruments for my 33 with sun damaged dials, pale orange and faded, compared to not damaged, bright red and clear, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

blueblood1995

Contacted Grant at West Sunshades after reading this post and received a shade to fit my 159 earlier this week. Brilliant fit and appears to be of an excellent standard. Far superior to the $10 product purchased at one of the well known automotive parts suppliers.
Cheers
JB

sportyone

Well guys,
To be really effective, they should be placed on the exterior of the screen, which also creates shade for the interior.
The radiant heat from the glass still heats up the interior of the car anyway, so your car will get hot when it is placed on the inside.  Test it one day & feel the difference !
If you buy the one from a $2 shop or other auto stores, you won't be stressed if gives off vapour or gets damaged etc. i have been using the same one for many summers !

blueblood1995

Whilst I agree with your comments sportyone it's all about an acceptable level of comfort. Even on the hottest of Melbourne days a properly fitted inside shade still has the effect of maintaining a "cooler" environment within the car esp. if parked outside without any cover whatsoever. The less radiant heat that makes its way "past the edges" of the shade the better.
Sunlight will still enter from side and rear windows and so unless your facing directly west a shade on the outside or inside is only going to provide minimal protection... unless of course you've got window tinting which again will help to keep the heat out.  ;)

sportyone

my comment was just pointing out again, for these to work best they should placed on the outside, shielding the largest radiant area, the windscreen, thus keeping it in shade, a great benefit, irrespective of any other factor, tints or not !  :)

Silver Bodgie

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on October 17, 2014, 08:23:11 AM
Here's my unsolicited testimonial for Grant at West Sun Shades http://www.westsunshades.com.au/.  After Uncle Col mentioned them in another thread I made contact, looking for a custom shade for my 'new' Alfasud.  He didn't have a pattern for the Sud but within a few days had located a suitable car down in Tassie and made a new pattern.  Prompt delivery and easy to deal with.  The cover fits perfectly, particularly it sits right into the groove in front of the dash so the full vinyl top of the dash is protected from the sun.

Recommended.  Thanks for the tip off Colin.

Following this thread I contacted Grant for a screen to fit my late model Giulietta. He didn't have one in stock but went searching, found one, took the measurements and presto it arrived last week. Great workmanship and it fits like a glove.
Peter
Now
Giulietta QV 1750 Alfa Red
Past
2008 159
1750 GT Veloce 1970

SeleMatt

Sadly, Grant sold his business 9 months ago. The new owner does not respond to emails and the business appears to not be operating.
There is no one else in Australia offering model specific sunshades. 😑

LaStregaNera

66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6