New Member: Regarding Alfa 156

Started by easside, June 19, 2008, 10:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easside

Davidm1600

Hi Easside

I feel for you re your problems encountered so soon into ownership with your 156.  I bought a 2003 JTS sportwagon last November from a dealer in Sydney, I live in Hobart so am on my own re the cost of repairs.  So far plus some 5-6km later, touch metal/leather I have had no problems.

However, while I have no knowledge of the selespeed issues you are talking of, I would most definitely get that and the temperature guage problem checked out as quickly as you can.

Re the temperature problem, from past experiences it could be a number of issues.  Obviously the worst being a head gasket problem.  The tell tale signs being oil in water or water in oil - therefore check both the radiator & overflow bottles, plus dipstick and oil filer cap.  If you have brown-milky oil, froth under the caps etc it is headgasket problem.  You can also pressure test for a leaking gasket, and lastly if you hear water bubbling in the radiator after you turn the engine off this also is a sign that the head gasket is about to go.

It, however, could be an electrial problem eg temperature sensor or alternatively a problem in the dash, or the computer.  156s have been known to have a number of faulty gauges, warning lights etc which are computer related.

Hopefully someone with greater knowledge of 156s will be able to perhaps offer you more definitive advice and perhaps advice on where to take your car to get it checked out properly.   Goodluck and hopefully it won't be too expensive.  Cheers Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

John Hanslow

Not sure what area you live in but how about checking out our sponsors page.  There are a few there.   

Get a quote and an idea of what needs to be done but more importantly getting the cars systems analysed by a professionals like Lance Dixon in Doncaster who know the car is essential.

From experience with previous cars, you want to know has to be done, how much and when - how urgent.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

easside

Cool, Thanks guys for the advices and tips.

I'll keep you updated and hopefully I can help future owners if they have the same problems.

Fingers crossed!

easside

Been away for a while from this forum but for Alfa owners who might face the same problems (hopefully they won't) the results from my old post was:

1. The clucking sound was a collasped Input bearing shaft in the gearbox department.
2. Had to get it replaced, at the same time replaced a new clutch (for the JTS) (2 days to fix, relatively quick)
3. Total Cost $2,500 including labour 
4. Driver's Airbag ligths kept coming on and off.....Lance Dixon fixed it for free....it was pretty much a wire that goes under the Driver's seat which sometimes the seat can trip off causing the airbag to stall and making the light come up. They sprayed something under my seat and reset the Airbag. No problems since.
5. Temp gauge....no problems...apparently Alfa Romeo temps go up and down often

Spent $6,500 within 6 months of first owning the car....but has been good to me until January 2009 (apart from filling in the engine oil couple of times)....until 1 Coil pack died :(
Spent $405 to fix the problem from Alfa Service Centre

Total Repairs:

1. Actuator Replacement ($3.7k)  (gear shift light coming on and gear shift oil getting empty very quickly 1-2 weeks)
2. Shaft Bearing ($2.5k) (when you're coming to a stop or driving in low speeds, you'll hear clucking noises, like bunch of metal balls moving around)
3. 1 x Coil Pack and 1 x Spark Plug ($405) (you'll get a motor system control failure flashing)

Hopefully if anyone has the above symptoms, please visit the service centre asap to avoid more problems. Might not be as bad as my problems but you have a rough idea of the problem and prices

Cheers