Undercharging

Started by Citroënbender, May 20, 2019, 12:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroënbender

Not an in-joke or anything, a serious question about the 147TS alternators and electrics.

I noticed a few weeks back for the first time, what I'd describe as "Classic symptoms of undercharging" in the form of a white crystalline buildup on the battery negative post/clamp.

Otherwise there have been no indications of a change in state. The battery is two years old but not recently load tested.

From memory the OEM alternator on these is a MM of about 140A.

Should I be assuming that brushes will see me right, or am I observing an alternator about to tip over a knife edge with bearing, reg, slip ring and brush wear to resolve? Answers on a postcard to 22 Bendigo St Richmond Vic 3121, c/- Chooklotto please - or post here. :)

bazzbazz

With the engine running what voltage are you reading at the battery?
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Citroënbender

:o Startup was an eye opener. Cycling up to 22V then slowly stepping down to 20, 19, 17, 16...

After a few minutes it settled to about 13.85 but the initial high voltage and fluctuation unsettled me.

I note the website is currently blocking links to Postimg hosted pictures.

bazzbazz

Sounds like more than the Regulator is faulty, time for a new Alternator I'm afraid.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

You reckon a rectifier pack is on the way out?

bazzbazz

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

This being the internet, I should ignore your advice, remove the rear wiper arm, tell everyone this has fixed my problem along with never buying Brand X fuel again, and that the car has never driven better?  ::)

Similar to how replacing the pump relay on a BMW selespeed fixes a flat accumulator.

Citroënbender

I'm having trouble drawing a bead on rectifier packs.

Are they super generic or unobtainium?

bazzbazz

Just buy a new Alternator for gods sake, you will need to replace both the Rectifier pack & regulator at any rate, so may as well buy the whole thing.   ::)

;)
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

I've got a used spare with 130K on it, that can go in while I investigate. OE Bosch is $680-odd retail, can't see it happening for under $400 trade. The Poles want about $280 for their knock-off, P/N A4017.

And if I can't get it going using OE or equivalent spec parts you can be first to say: "I blooming well told you so!"

bazzbazz

Give Italian Automotive Spares in Melb a call, you may like their price.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

V AR 164

Why don't you just chuck the used spare one on and call it done??
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

bazzbazz

Have you seen how much of a bitch it is to remove/refit the alternator on a 147?  :o

The last thing you want to do is fit a old used alternator only to have it fail a short time later and have to redo it all over again.
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

Citroënbender

Indeed. I'm suffering IKEA right now and that is a small blight in comparison.  :P

V AR 164

Quote from: Citroënbender on May 21, 2019, 09:39:11 PM
I've got a used spare with 130K on it, that can go in while I investigate.

Looks like he plans to do it twice anyway haha
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti