156 questions & queries!

Started by hughstephens, October 31, 2008, 11:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vjr

^^^
Interesting link.

I just had a look at the past receipts for my 156, and for the 120k service (which was done at 115k) there is a note under the "Cust Instr:" section which says *TIMING BELT - (MANDATORY REPLACEMENT AT THIS SERVICE) 3YR/60K*. Except, the timing belt does *not* seem to have been changed. It says (amongst many other items) "replaced poly-V belt" and "checked drive belts". In the parts list the only belt mentioned is "AUX DRIVE BELT 2.0LT......$182.55".

I will call the service centre when they re-open, but I was wondering for now if someone could interpret this for me. Did the owner perhaps choose not to replace the timing belt, knowing that he was going to sell the car (albeit about 8 months and 7,000k's later)? The bill was over $900 anyway.

Just wondering what people think. And yes I am going to get the timing belt done ASAP (it's done 52k since it was last done).

Thanks.

Davidm1600

Hi VJR, I think you are likely to be correct in your assumptions re the PO and perhaps not doing the timing belt, given that the car was going to be sold, and the cost of doing that job. I have no idea what the aux belt is. 52k since the timing belt was last changed, yes I would definitely be planning on getting it done ASAP, better safe than sorry.

I will be checking with my mechanic as soon as he returns from annual leave about getting the sportwagon serviced as I think it was last done about 8-10Km or so ago, and I will be definitely also asking about when I need to get my belt changed. 

The only thing that seems to be a little problematic with my 156 is that I have a squeaky from suspension bush, but which one, I am not sure.  I also think I might price up some Koni's as the car feels pretty soft in the front end.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

vjr

Thanks Dave. I was aware before purchase re the timing belt, but was curious about the wording in the service receipt.'

I used that carservice.com.au link and found an independent service shope just 5 min walk from work. I'm so tempted to go with them... does anyone use Cox Automotive in South Melbourne for their Alfa(s)? I know they're not a sponsor, they're just very handily located..

John Hanslow

Interesting point you have raised VJR.

I was cautioned by an Alfa Dealer who is one of our sponsors to check the sevice book, and check the receipts for any service reports of issues needing attention.

Then most importantly to check if the work was done (and not just quotes for next time).

Its not just the receipt for the work done but the service report of work required !

Cheers.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

vjr

At the time of that service, the timing belt was only 47000 km old, so in a sense I can't really blame him for skipping it (the first timing belt change was done at 69,000km !). Why can't they just last 100k km's like normal cars!  ;D