GTV6 quick rack

Started by redalfaracing, December 19, 2008, 08:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redalfaracing

Does anyone know of any rack that fits into a 116 easily that is better than the 3.6 turns lock to lock? I have heard of a german conversion but not for the racks supplied in aus delivery cars. Alternatively, is anyone interested in quicker steering? I certainly am ( easier to control big power slides in the gravel). I did approach a gear cutter about making a new pinion that would give about 2.5 turns lock to lock that i rekon i can fit into the original rack ( with a bit of machining) They indicated about $5-6 Hundred for onebut with a bit of volume the cost per unit would come down substantially. I guess writing the program for the CNC is the expensive bit. After all, how much would the material used in a shaft 100 mm long cost!
What are your thoughts?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

scott.venables

The 75 PS rack is about 3.2 or 3.3 turns lock to lock.  The input shaft splines are a bit different apparently compared to the Alfetta.

Or you could take the uprights to someone and get the steering arms cut and shut to alter the ratio that way.  It would give you more lock which may not work.

Scott

redalfaracing

yes, the 75 i own has about 3.2 turns but i was wanting something a bit quicker. i am not convinced that shortening the control arms are such a good idea if you are using full lock a bit , uless you move the rack forward the coresponding amount. i feel that when on lock, the tie rod ends make acute angles .
the pic posted below shows a car in a rally situation. the pics were taken as fast as a canon eos 1 you can see how fast i need to go from 1 lock to another.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

k76

I'm not sure if there is a difference in the racks we got here in Aus compared to the rest of the world, but there are at least two options I have heard about:

The first is a kit from Tar-ox, but I think this may be out of production. One of our local clubmembers (Hunter area) has got one in a alfetta gtv he uses for rally sprints, so it must fit.

The second is a guy in Finland that makes them. His name is Jarmo Kekarainen, email is kuntafinne@hotmail.com

If you decide to get something made locally for a reasonable price I might be interested, but I have to find out if this would be legal in Group Sc first. Anyone knows?
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS