Top Gear Australia

Started by Barry Edmunds, December 22, 2008, 04:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Edmunds

New host for Top Gear Australia. James Morrison, muso of renown and self-confessed car nut, has been announced as the new host for Top Gear Australia. Charlie Cox has departed.
Hoepfully the new host can transform the program into something creditable.

Barry

redalfaracing

and so say all of us!  To date i feel it has been the most abismal motoring show in living history. Which js a shame as it could be so good.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Thmpar

But they first need the manufacturers to allow them to use their cars,after the first series repair bill its a bit iffy i believe 

Davidm1600

Ah come off it, by far not the worst motoring show in Australian history.  That mantle belongs to others.   

I like many others actually enjoyed it, sure it had its weaknesses, including that Charlie Cox and Steve Pizza are boring shouting pratts but overall it was still about cars and was about the passion for cars.  While definitely not up to UKTG standards, if supported it will get better.  UKTG has been running for a long time, been through a range of presenters and has a budget which makes Aussie TG pale into insignificance.  If you look at early UKTG it too was very ordinary.   

If people here are worried about the damages budget, I would be curious about the UK damages budget, for it would be manifestly larger, and no one seems to complain about that.

Frankly the car dealers and manufacturers here are a bunch of wimps if they don't support a program which actually supports car ownership and enthusiasm.  It is in their financial best interest to do so given the credibility and promotion that the program has done in the UK and across the world. 

If you doubt that, what about Clarkson's enthusiasm for Alfas, Audis, Mercs, the new Jag, etc etc or even last night about the new Nissan GTR, the promotion that they give to makes is huge and shouldn't be under-estimated.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Brad M

This topic is getting very boring. I'm going to look out the window and watch the cars drive by ...
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Davidm1600

Agree, but better still I am going to take the Alfa for a drive !!
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

1750GT

Good Idea Dave. I think we need to see season 2 of the Aus Top gear to see how they go however without the support of manufacturers, a bigger budget and interesting story lines and some better and interesting commentary they are going to struggle. I think the addition of James Morrison will make a big difference but he'll have to carry the other two so it's going to be a big ask for him.

Now talking about driving.... I took my Alfa for a bash thru the Yarra Valley and up to Marysville, a great drive, interesting scenary and great twisties. We took a a picnic lunch, sat by a stream at marysville in a park and then did the twisties all over again. Would recomend this drive when you've got a few hours spare.

1750GT

Barry Edmunds

1750GT
Your trip sounds like the perfect story for the club mags.
Barry

1750GT

Good idea Barry, if I get some time in the new year I will have a bash at scibbling something.

1750GT

Neil Choi

Hey there

I also just did the Healesville/Black Spur drive this Christmas break in my Alfa, about the same time as 1750GT.  Saw one or two other Alfa's out too.

Went through Warrandyte/Eltham first, onto Healesville (coffee/breakfast) then Black Spur then up to Lake Mountain back to Marysville (lunch), back along Reefton Spur and home via Warburton.  Even the wife and kids liked the drive and didn't mind the V6 noise, it was rather noisy, Remus muffler.

Fantastic drive (220 km round trip, but do it early in the morning only.  Any time after, and no matter how you go about it, you will always be caught up behind a Toyota on L's or driven by someone wearing a bowls hat doing 50 km/h, not much fun then.

The drive up Lake Mountain is the best fun.

Any register captain planning an EMR along similar route, I am there.

Neil