New engine into Alfetta

Started by Victor Lee, February 18, 2009, 05:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Lee

Hi all,

An Alfisti friend (who wants to remain anonymous until it is finished) sent me a pic of his latest engine transplant project.

Cheers

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Mat Francis

Looks good to me! can't wait to see it finished.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

david sammartino

by the looks of that front crank puley im presuming its a 2.5?

Sam

I almost took this on (actually an imported 24 valve 3.0lt engine) but was told not to bother.
I thought to check with Vic Roads first. They put me onto their preferred Engineer, who told me it's not worth the cost. If the car didn't come with a V6 then it would cost many thousands in compliance and maybe even then he may not allow it,  if he feels the car is not capable of talking the power.
I thought not to risk it in the end.
Sam

Barry Edmunds

Sam

What right does anyone, apart from the owner of the vehicle in question, to make a judgement on whether any project is worth the cost. What has cost/value got to do with anyone except the owner of the vehicle involved in the project. I would be tempted to find another engineer. After my experience with VicRoad's so-called approved engineers I came to the conclusion that some of them do whatever they can to justify their existence. When I had to find one of these engineers a few years back I tried to contact one that VicRoads recommended and discovered that he had not been at that address for 6 years.

Barry

hammer

When I bought my first Alfa in 1991 I took it to an approved RACQ inspection station and the mechanic there told me that if I bought an Alfa Romeo I may as well take my $4000 and "throw it off a cliff". He told me that I was nuts to buy an Alfa and that I should go and look for a used Ford Laser instead!

k76

I have a habit of getting into things that aren't strictly worthwhile if you start counting hours and dollars. I call it character building!

Shame about the Laser hammer, you missed out on something big there. Just imagine, you could have been president of the Laser club by now :)
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Sam

Hi Barry,
Yes I agree the value vs. cost is up to the owner.
The engineer gave me an indicative figure of a 'few grand".
He was non committal, so I guess that price could turn out to be anything once I was 'locked in' to his services.
Given that I was doing all the work and he only had to approve it, I thought it was a bit much.
Vic roads only approve of a handful of these engineers, so there isn't much competition between them.
I don't know if it's mandatory to use a VR approved one or not, be interested to fine out.
Bottom line, if the engine has a larger displacement then the original one, it will need an engineer's report.
I was hoping to hear of a more sympathetic engineer, does Victor's friend found one?.
I presume he is aware an enginer is needed.

dehne

hi i know this is prob to  late but a friend of mine got his reg as a 2ltr then changed it to 2.5 v6 after a couple of years he went in and said he blew the motor and put another in they did not inspect it he just gave them the eng no
  this may work again the other way is do not tell them
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Sam

Hi Dahine,
In my case the car was not registered at the time.
I would have had to take it to VicRoads to register and get the car on the road.
I'm sure they would have picked it then.

BTW, don't you think your friend is taking a risk?
What happens if he wants to sell the car?
Doesn't the Rego sticker mention the engine displacement? What if a cop pulls him over?

Sam

dehne

he has had it that way for years now the cops where i live dont know where the engine numbers are so you dont tell them  if he gets caught they will only put a canary on the car and he will have to get it done then i toldhim if that  happens just race it   
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

1750GT

Hope he has told his insurer about the minor change as he wouldn't be covered for himself or more importantly the damage he does. Just because the roads corporation mucks up or doesn't check it doesn't mean that you are covered in the event of an accident and in fact this is where most people come un-stuck causing a great deal of pain, sometimes many years after you've got one over the authorities.

1750GT

Mat Francis

no where does it say this car is intended for the road- there is a lot of wild assumptions here. Maybe the owner enjoys fiddling and is going to have a fun track car? Who knows.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sam

Mat, last few messages were about Dehne's friend. The car we are reffering to is on the road :-)

1750GT

Thanks Sam, glad someone is keeping up. On reflection I was getting a bit serious so I can see the point mat was trying to make, but only out of concern. From your earlier comment I presume you were talking about converting a 2lt to a V6? With the cost of 2.5's versus 2lt's (sometimes the 2lt present with higher prices because there more likely not to have been mucked with and many of them have been driven as a family car and looked after), I reckon your better off just buying the 2.5 and I would have thought that the jump from a 2.5lt to 3lt wouldn't be so much of a problem? if done legally.

1750GT