147 GTA Windscreen washers

Started by Carring, March 04, 2009, 01:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carring

Hi everyone,

I recently had the tubing for the windscreen washers replaces ( at ALFA Dealer ) as it became brittle and broke near the bonnet arm.
But, no water seems to be coming out.  I can hear the pump going and the rear windscreen washer works perfectly.  As it always did.
Has anyone else come across this problem?

Thanks.

alfagtv58

Wow, thats not long for the hoses to become brittle.

I suggest tracing it back.  Start at the reservior, unplug it see if it is pumping water out there.  If it is, work your way along each join and do the same.  Chances are one of the pipes/hoses has just come away from the next (probably at the t-piece buried in the bonnet!)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Ray Pignataro

Did any body take any photos on the weekend

brettles

squirt washers check if any water comes out anywhere else than washer .check washer pump filter and see if it is clouged up with old soap or bug off as they often get growths in washer bottle,could also be kinked hoses. hope this helps

Thmpar

If there is a one valve fitted they may have put it back in the wrong direction.

Carring

Thanks everyone!
I will check all those things tonight.  It's got me beat because the back washer works fine.  Perhaps they did stuff up the front ones when putting it back together.

Carring

spieret

Pain of a job, but start at the pump and unplug the hose at each joint till you find the point where it doesn't come out anymore. Could be it goes back on itself. You said you can hear the pump going, where does the water it's pumping go to? Has to go somewhere, I had a similar problem and my mechanic had put a hose wrong.
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

Andiroid

YES! I have the exact problem and it is driving me up the wall! I'd like to be able to fix it but I can't even get the bonnet lining off for fear of not getting it on.

Does anyone have any tips?

Andrew
2013 Giulietta Distinctive Sportiva, 2004 147 Twin Spark 3dr

dehne

hi i had same prob in 156 i pull hose from pump and used my air compressor up the line blew all the crap out and now it works a little to good (sorry  to the people behind with the sunroof open  ;D
hope that helps
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Carring

spieret:

You're right.  The water has to be going somewhere if the pump is going.  Back washer still works fine, so I haven't stuffed up anything else!
I'll do another check tonight.

Sheldon McIntosh

Why did the hoses become so brittle so quickly in the first place?  Any contaminants get into the system which would also be causing a crack or split somewhere else?

Was water still coming out with brittle and then broken tubes?  If so, then whoever replaced them has stuffed up somewhere and I would be taking it straight back.  Although a kink does sound likely.

Carring

Success! 

It was a kink like most mentioned!
It a bastard of a place, behind the under bonnet cover.

Thanks everyone!