2002 156 wagon selespeed?

Started by greggy8, March 22, 2009, 02:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greggy8

Hi there,
I'm new to Alfas but am looking at a secondhand 2002 156 Twinspark Selespeed wagon, which has done 150,000km and has been regularly serviced by Alfa.

I'm very keen on the car but my only concern is the cost of repairing potential problems with the transmission? Has anyone had any problems?
Does anyone know how much it costs to replace the transmission on these cars?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Greg

lombardi

ciao,i owned a 2000 twin spark sportswagon,beaut car,just be aware timing belts and tensioners have to be changed every 60k,if this is neglected,serious trouble,big bucks,make sure car has good service history,shop around for timing belt and tensioner change,prices can vary from $800 to $2000,the tensioners apparently are made with plastic ball bearings and thats what the problem is,hence the short intervals,also something to be aware is the oil used,these engines run hot,selenia 20k apparently is not recommended anymore for aussie cond,they recommend either selenia racing or castrol fully synth edge,i think about a 15-40,but double check this,apart from all this,its a beaut car,like all alfas, a pleasure to own,you wont be sorry. regards
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999