Alfa Romeo 164 q

Started by turboalfa, March 24, 2009, 05:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: dehne on March 25, 2009, 07:07:04 PM
the Q will eat a 75

Not around a track it won't.  As long it's more than one lap anyway....

turboalfa

that may be true but this if for road use and will never be intended for on track. its purely for looks and sound and ofcourse a bit of power! acceleration and also top speed is handy to have but not so much use lol.

GTV6 3.0L

Sheldon McIntosh

That's what I'm saying.  The Q has the acceleration and top speed (as if you can use it anywhere in Vic), but it's a big heavy FWD car.  The 75 has the nice handling.

If you're after looks, sound and power, definitely go for a Q.  Just be prepared for higher bills and worse handling. 

If I was you I'd get a 535i, the perfect compromise (duck).

turboalfa

haha im trying to get rid of a lovely looking 525i it had no balls what so ever.. and is causing me massive bills considering there Head issues! !! ...and it sounds and looks stunning! but its not for me .. i prefer an alfa any day! any day of the week!
GTV6 3.0L

Sheldon McIntosh

If you prefer an Alfa "any day of the week", then one day you'll want to get it on the track.  Trust me.

turboalfa

yea im sure i will with no doubts .. i can nearly gaurentee i will.

thanks anyways.

ciao
GTV6 3.0L

Evan Bottcher

ha "any day of the week" includes Sunday.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

turboalfa

yes exactly right includes sunday.
GTV6 3.0L

AndrewO

Hi,

I never liked the 164 cars.  They were soft and just felt like a "nice" Holden.

Then I saw a q in a dealers yard and drove it just to see how it went.  I bought it there and then.  When I got home I realised I had to change my company contract for the car I already had, but I did.  The q was worth it.

The capacity might be the same as the 75 but they are not the same engine.  I also had a GTV6 and loved it but it just cannot compete with the 164q.  I always said I had 2 engines, one below 4,000rpm was powerful and refined and was better than most out there.  Then from there until the engine limiter cut in (as it often did) it was a beast in power and sound.  Flooring it at 4,000rpm in second is a feeling I won't forget.

The air conditioning can be a problem with the fan motor and also the control panel can fail.
The electric seats are brilliant but troublesome (don't let it go all the way back or the motor drive can fall off the runners and you need to whack it back on).
Watch out for imported specials (mine was) becasue you'll find the usually rare parts become the ones that fail and on the imported ones nobody here will have them and the car might be off the road for months waiting for the special to come in from the supplier's factory (trust me it happens).
The electrically controlled dampers can be expensive if they need to be replaced.

Look for a well cared for car with a good service history.  They are easy to abuse because they are just so much fun and beg to be driven (the rear suspension arms can easily get bent on dirt roads if you throw it around too much).

As usual with Alfas the cheapest car overall will be the best one you can only just afford.

Have fun.

turboalfa

thanks for the reply Andrew...

sounds quite fun :D

so Far its 164 i just need to sell this 525i to get the extra money. once that is done i may go look at one in camberwell if its still available at the time
GTV6 3.0L

1750GT

If you insist on it being a 164, it must be the Q, all wheel drive with getrag box. Don't fall into the trap of falling in love with the front driver just because you like the Q. But I didn't think they bought the Q into Aus or if they did in very small numbers.

However I must agree with a previous opinion, the parts for these cars particularly the more complex drive trains, electrics etc. are just hard to get if impossible (except from overseas) because this was a fresh front wheel drive "fiat derived" platform, so I just think you need to consider this carefully. I note that this car was also not popular in the US, so US sourced parts are not on basically. Although popular in Europe it was never a long stay model.

The 75 on the other hand is a great car and its parts including 2.5 engine are all in the GTV etc. "family" of parts. I suggest the 75 is the better buy and certainly a lot less hastle in the long run. I say again (even if you dont use it for racing, which you probably will) the 75 will put a much bigger smile on your dial on the twisties. And after all isn't that why we like Alfa's.

1750GT

1750GT

Woops, I meant 3lt engine. turboalfa, I just got my latest edition of Cross + Serpent magazine (autumn issue) and there are a number of pages devoted to the 164, you should have a read.

1750GT

Evan Bottcher

The 164 Q was not all wheel drive, and they were sold in Australia.  The Q4 was the all wheel drive.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

turboalfa

1750 gt, Thanks for the opinion and yes i love the 164 but only the Q id never buy a standard 164 because i prefer the manual and want the sports addition and i must admit i love the 75's as well ... here is the 75 my uncle built and spent alot of money on came out with 425 HP in the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbTUAgPEXBs

(this top link is him racing on the island has a bit of a spin haha)

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVwcanpbjmo

and that is the car itself just a video of it sitting there and inside..(very very nice car plus scary considering in third gear when he planted it , it would put us sideways in a straight line :S ) haha

hope you enjoy!
GTV6 3.0L

1750GT

Turboalfa, Errr enjoy? are you kidding, I think I'm in love, this is what I call a superdelicious beast and I say respect your uncles good judgement and follow in his footsteps!

Go forth my boy and buy a 75 and if its half as good as this one you'll have a smile on your dial. Or if you must have the 164Q I think going for the model your thinking about is a good idea and given the not so sharp handling of the 164 front driver (still good but not as good as the more focused Alfa models) I'd consider a suspension upgrade or the Q4 with all wheel drive. The 3lt motor is certainly a gooden and one of the best looking engines on the planet.

Boy that 75 is a gun car though.

1750GT