Few questions for Alfa people Thanks :)

Started by terryimports01, March 26, 2009, 09:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terryimports01

Hi guys :)

I am new, looking at buying a project and getting busy .

I was wondering if anyone can answer me few q's

1.What is more rare Gt Junior 1600 or 1750 alfas? In trading post there is only 1 gt junior 1600 for sale while there is 8 of  1750?

2.What is the price range i ll be looking at if i wanted to buy one of the cars for a project,what is the normal price for cars that need some work to it?

3. What is the market out these for these cars, do people buy them ,do they keep their value? Thank you so much!

Terry

155 lover

I am in SA so the market may be different, but in my experience (i keep tabs on the ones for sale here)...

1.What is more rare Gt Junior 1600 or 1750 alfas? In trading post there is only 1 gt junior 1600 for sale while there is 8 of  1750?

GT Junior 1600 are more rare - but 1750's seem to be the car of choice for Alfa collectors in general - i can't argue with them, it's a beautiful shape. 

2.What is the price range i ll be looking at if i wanted to buy one of the cars for a project,what is the normal price for cars that need some work to it?

Generally, in good - excellent condition you can pay anywhere between $10,000 and $25,000 - sometimes more. Depending on what you think classifies as "some work done" you might pick one up for under $5k.

3. What is the market out these for these cars, do people buy them ,do they keep their value? Thank you so much!

Over the last 5 -6 years, these cars have appreciated in value. Probably haven't moved much in price over the last 12 - 18 months based on advertising here in SA, but generally prices have shown a trend of increasing. Don't know if they will go higher, but they have been holding their value, if not appreciating...
79' Alfetta 2000
74' Spider
03' 147 GTA

terryimports01

I see, i ve been looking around and would like to get started on something more rare but the car must be at the right price and at the right time as you know.

Can you advise me what condition can i accept for cars under 5 k? I don't mind if there is rust as long as the car is complete and works.

WHat is the cheapest i can buy them for?

155 lover

Can you advise me what condition can i accept for cars under 5 k? I don't mind if there is rust as long as the car is complete and works.

I don't know what condition you can accept, it depends how much you are willing to spend on it and how much time and knowledge you have available to put in to the car. I know people that have started with a Shell and a separate engine and over time they have spent loads of cash and effort in restoring from scratch. Then there are those that buy in a pretty reasonable condition for 10-15k and spend a lot less time and money to get it into immaculate condition.

WHat is the cheapest i can buy them for?

Depends who you buy it from. Occassionally you can get lucky and buy it from someone who does not know what it is worth - i.e. not an Alfa enthusiast! - But this is getting pretty rare now.

If i was you, i would search for a 1750 in reasonable condition with a straight body and little rust. The engine i would worry about second as 105 engine parts are around in a few different models so most mechanics can find parts and restore well. If you have a lot of rust however, (especially under the carpet) then it involves a lot of back breaking and difficult work - not to mention unorthodox work that is not straightforward - that is the most difficult problem. When i bought my spider, the floor under neath the passenger seat was holding water (you could tell because the rubber mats had stuck to the floor). This involved removing the whole interior + some paint thinning, metal scrubbing, welding, fish oiling and re-paint + putting everything back very carefully(which is the hardest part because nothing ever goes back the way it should...). Up to you though how much time and money you have!
79' Alfetta 2000
74' Spider
03' 147 GTA

terryimports01

Thanks great info :)

I don't want to get a car that it is already done, i would like to put my time into it.

i do realise there is alot of alfa people that know their stuff,you are right it all depends how much money people want to spend.

Sheldon McIntosh

There's one on Buy/Sell now, you better be quick it looks like a great deal, and exactly what you want.