Fire Extinguishers

Started by alfagtv58, April 08, 2009, 12:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

Can someone interperet this for me?  I am trying to understand the current regs on fire extinguishers and establish what the "expiry date" is on them (used to be 3 years, I think).  If I read the attached correctly (and I have also copied the section below), as long as a scrutineer inspects it and deems it is not damaged, has pressure and no settlement, it is all good??

Quote1. Each automobile in any competition other than non-speed events must be equipped with a fire extinguisher which complies with the following conditions and is properly fitted at a suitable location.
1.1 Hand held fire extinguishers:
(i) must remain restrained under an acceleration of 25G;
(ii) must be capable of removal by the driver (or crew, where applicable) without the aid of tools.
(iii) must be inspected by scrutineers at least once every six months, or otherwise prior to competition. This
involves visually checking the unit and its mountings for damage, checking the pressure of the contents, and
shaking the container to check for settling of the extinguishant. Where practical the extinguisher should be
weighed.
1.2 Each fire extinguisher homologated by the FIA (plumbed-in type) must be serviced every two years, either by
the manufacturer or their agent, according to the procedures laid out by the manufacturer.
• Service records must be made available to scrutineers on demand.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Colin Byrne

I agree with you phil, looks like they have removed the date factor i think it used to read

• a three-yearly service, which involves recharging the extinguisher
• a six-yearly hydrostatic test of the pressure vessel

but i think most events stipulate their own requirments on extinguisher's ontop of the CAMS ones
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)