Started by Mat Francis, April 20, 2009, 01:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat Francis

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sheldon McIntosh

Good parts car maybe.  Damaged headlight, that's $450 right there, but you may be able to replace the damaged indicator cover for cheaper if you're very lucky.  $150 for the panel.  Nice colour though, haven't seen one that colour before.

Interesting that the odo 'shows 26,000'.  They do show the 100k's, so it's either been tampered with, done over a million kms, or is very low km.

Wish it was in Melbourne

And I'm not sure who's more 'tragic', 90 fans or Alfetta fans?

Mat Francis

Can't really argue with that much.

But, be careful, one day i might make the natural progression and start buying up 90's. They could become a rarity if i got a collection of them like i do Alfettas at the moment!

Earlier today i found this picture i took at Spettacolo, and thought, damn, that's one nice looking car.

Is it too late for me?
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

MD

QuoteAnd I'm not sure who's more 'tragic', 90 fans or Alfetta fans?

The Alfetta may be less sophisticated or perhaps put in another, the 90 is more sophisticated than it needs to be but in the final analysis, the sporty body lines of the Alfetta says a lot more about its heritage than the bland lines of the 90.

For the life of me I can't understand why sports cars need electric windows electric seat movers and two more tons of electric jock straps to justify it as a new model ! Aren't sports cars about power to weight?
Regrettably, the 90 represents this slide to nowhere and it's sales figures globaly certainly point to that...
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

What are you talking about man?  The 90 is not a sports car, and was never intended to be.  It's an 'executive' car, but with a sporting edge.  The same way the GTV6 makes a terrible limousine.

The Alfetta has sporty lines but the 90 is bland?  Now I've heard it all!!

PS the 90 weighs less than the GTV6 (supposedly), so I wouldn't worry too much about the weight.  Oh, and it doesn't rust.

JOHN G

PS the 90 weighs less than the GTV6 (supposedly), so I wouldn't worry too much about the weight.  Oh, and it doesn't rust.
[/quote]

No that's Crapola.
On both points.

Present
ALFA 75 3.0
BMW X5 M

Past
Alfa  75 3.0 qv Potenziata (Black) Concours
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0
Alfa GTV6 GP 2.5 Concours
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport 250Hp ATW (Grey)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Black)

Sheldon McIntosh

Well, how can I argue with those facts? 

Right you are Sir.

Mat Francis

Is it my interpretation of text, or has what was intended as a bit of a personal joke turned into a full on, top gear Australia style, "lets all hate on 90's"?

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sheldon McIntosh

I thought it was all in good humour.  When you own a 90 you quickly grow a thick skin.

To be honest mate I love that people don't like them.  When you can buy a quick, comfortable and reliable car for under $2000, with one of the best engines ever made, I'm happy for them to stay unloved.  I'm still trying to kill my one, but two years of track work still hasn't done it.

That you can hassle Clubmans (admittedly with numpties driving them) around Winton is just a bonus!!

MD

Sheldon,

If you take the top skin off a 90 and place it next to a GTV6 in the same guise, it's the same sports car.

When you have to invest the same bucks to maintain them, which one will realise the greater return over time? You work it out.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

Wow I'd never thought of that before! ;)  Although you'll probably find it would cost more to maintain the 90 because parts are so rare.  This would also be why Guilia Supers, Berlinas and Alfetta sedans are so rare now, and it's a real shame.

I didn't buy my 90s with the thought of a return at the end of the day luckily, and the difference in purchase price between a 90 and a GTV6 would pay for about 10 years maintenance.

Oh yeah, and it's more fun passing GTV's on the track when you're in a 90 ;D

MD

I believe in forum rules and try to observe them. At the same time I am not so intimidated by them so as not to express a genuine opinion about an issue without targetting any specific party.

I hope we are all grown up here enough to tolerate an opinion which is contrary to our own.

I have said all I need to say about the 90 model. No offence is intended. I hope all owners of this model continue to enjoy them.

For the record, over time, I have owned just about one of every model 105 and transaxle (including a 90)ever made. I feel that should give me some degree of credibility however humble that may be.

On a lighter note Sheldon, I look forward to dice with your 90 on the track one day with my TS powered Alfetta.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: MD on April 22, 2009, 07:34:08 PM
I believe in forum rules and try to observe them. At the same time I am not so intimidated by them so as not to express a genuine opinion about an issue without targetting any specific party.

I hope we are all grown up here enough to tolerate an opinion which is contrary to our own.

I have said all I need to say about the 90 model. No offence is intended. I hope all owners of this model continue to enjoy them.

For the record, over time, I have owned just about one of every model 105 and transaxle (including a 90)ever made. I feel that should give me some degree of credibility however humble that may be.

On a lighter note Sheldon, I look forward to dice with your 90 on the track one day with my TS powered Alfetta.

Hey man, no problem here.  I've posted over 500 posts here, probably half of them have been defending my faith.  I don't give a shit if someone thinks they're a bad car, everyone is welcome to an opinion.  I love my car(s) and would defend everyone elses right to love theirs.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, it would be a very boring world if everyone loved the same car.  I think it's fun when a thread goes way off topic too.

And I also look forward to dicing with you, but I may need to do some suspension work on my car first.  Come down to Phillip Island for 2010 next year and see if you can beat our Club's current fastest car, an Alfa 90!!

Take it easy buddy
Oh yeah, is that your car in your Avatar?

Sheldon McIntosh

Oh yeah, in reply to another post with exemplary evidence, and I stand to be corrected here (which is why I put the "supposedly" in the original post because I always wondered about the quoted figures), but every stat sheet I've ever read has put the 90 at 1170kg and the GTV6 at 1210kg. 

And I've never seen a 90 with rust, apart from tiny bits of rust on bolt off panels, or from bad repairs.

And yeah MD, transaxles rule!!!  Until you need to work on the rear brakes.  Or change a Donut

Evan Bottcher

"forum rules"!  I don't think I've written any - a novel idea, perhaps I should...

What would the club be without friendly jibe at another man's car?  As a Sud driver I've become quite thick skinned at folk questioning my manhood for driving a front-wheel drive boxer engined rusty bucket of sh*te.  Doesn't hurt at all any more *sniff*

This has been a great thread - I was hoping for a proper stoush but I've been sadly disappointed.  I've been looking for a good excuse to ban someone (other than spammers).  I did enjoy John G's contribution though - very well put and when he laid out the evidence like that how could anyone argue?

Yep we're all adults here (even Sheldon) - please don't hold back with your opinions.  Transaxles rule!! (as long as they're in the front of a Sud!!!)

MD - I think you need to post some photos of your race car in the "Photos & Videos" board.  I have a feeling I saw yours on the oval at Alfesta a year or so back...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal