HID kits?

Started by Asher1337, June 16, 2009, 03:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asher1337

I own a 2000 model Alfa Spider.

I want to install a HID kit but im not sure if the car can support it.

Are there any risks of trying to intall one? eg. can it fry the cars circuit board, stuff up internal computer (might be a bit on the extreme side but im paranoid with this stuff lol)?

Does anyone have experiences with HID's and Alfa's?????????????

cheers ;)

note:I'm getting a professional to intstall it.

luca

do you live in the outback mate?

redalfaracing

I have hid's on my Alfetta rally car. 2 hella predator driving lights and 2 hella ralle 4000 with korean hid kits fitted.
Firstly let me say WOW!!! turns night into day for 1 km ahead. which is just the job for flat out through the trees at night. those reflective road signs are a bit of a hazard... act like mirrors, have to shield your eyes from the reflection.
BUT, i wouldn't recommend them for road use.. way too dangerous.
some people put them into standard headlights. This is illegal, as to comply with the adr's they have to be in self levelling headlights. If your alfa has those then you can legally fit them. A lot of European cars ( bmw, Mercedes etc ) have zenons as standard equip in self levelling lights.
It used to be a big scrutiny issue for rally until people got the message.

hope this helps
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Thmpar

as redalfaracing has said they have to be self leveling as well as self cleaning,i dont know the reason exactly for this but its part of the legal requirement.

shiny_car

fortunately, the 916 Spider/GTV have projector lenses (that have an internal 'mask' to help cut glare). whilst these are not HID-specific, they are well suited, and much better than typical reflector lenses, like you see in non-GTA 147/156 cars for example. projector lenses will minimise glare to oncoming traffic; should end up like OE spec.

but as above, to comply with ADR, you also need auto self-levelling and washer jets for the headlights. i presume your car has manual levelling.

you have to be comfortable with the idea of not fully complying with ADR. it will technically make your car unroadworthy, which has implications on insurance, for example. yet, you would not be the only one *cough* who has fitted HIDs to their Alfa.

you can buy kits with globes that adapt to the standard halogen globe fitment. for example, if the car has H1 fitment globes, you can buy an H1 HID kit. i recommend only high quality name brand kits, and not cheap imports. i have a Philips kit in one of my cars; eBay can be a cheap source for these, often selling for around $400.

installing them is 'easy', if you know your way around basic mechanics and autoelectrics. you have to mount the 'ballast' somewhere convenient (they are waterproof; you probably need to take the front bumper off for best access to install them). the kit is designed around cutting a 1" diameter hole in the back of the headlight assembly to fit a grommet to cater for the new wiring (there are ways around not having to do this if you are capable of doing some minor rewiring).

if you do a lot of night highway driving or where there are no street lights, i highly recommend having HIDs. if you are merely a city dweller, driving around suburbia, then they are not so important. if you want the 'look', then simply use aftermarket globes like Philips BlueVision or Crystal Vision.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

redalfaracing

The other effect of zenons is that your eyes get so used to the bright lights on high beam that when you dip them, it is as if you have turned your headlights off completely. I find i have to cut the zenon driving lights first and a few seconds later dip to low beam. The older i get, the slower my eyes react to a change in light intensity.
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Asher1337

thanks for all the replies everyone, some really good advice ;)

I think I might just stick with the lights I have, they seem decent

I have been paying alot of attention to HID and most of them going around the streets don't look very good unless they're the higher end ones standard on a car or have a full conversion kit; not just hid's.

If people keep throughing on riduculous kits eg. 20 000K with no relectors or glare shield cops may crack down in future as they can be dangerous to other drivers

cheers :D