Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Davidm1600

Hey Lombardi

We have had this discussion before in a thread I originally posted after episode one of series 1.  While most seem to have given it the thumbs down, ask 1750GTV for his views, I perhaps am one of the few that am willing to give them a chance. Now while I have no desire to re-hash my reasons why (read the previous thread if you wish), the basic point I will make is that UKTG too in its early days was pretty crap.  Check out old programs if you doubt me. 

Who knows if they can improve or not, but at least they got rid of the Clarkson wannabe, now all they need to do is get rid of the weedy guy (Hampster wannabe).  Will James Morrison be any good, perhaps - perhaps not.  What cars will they test, no idea but hopefully not too many more Chooks and Crapadores, or bogan utes and 4wds (especially soft roaders).  And lastly hopefully no more mention of a pooftenth.  I dont know who came up with that crap word but its daft anyway. 

My last point is that it actually could be a really good program but they need to script it well, including a proper analysis of a cars qualities or not, film it better than they did and have some decent cars to test and interesting/funny challenges.  Similarly, they need a better test track as the current one is boring.   Its up to the producers and the presenters to deliver the goods.  I for one hope they can.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Ash Gordon

It's biggest hurdle is who in the Australian car market is going to "lend" them a decent car to test, and what benefit is it to a manufacturer / importer / dealer  to have a $400 k Ferrari or the like on OZTG. Very limited market. I believe even GMH wont be lending them cars after last years efforts..

The BBC budget is huge compared to to OZTG, plus the audience a European manufacturer can reach having a car on UKTG is almost priceless.

I am sure the presenters will do a much better job 2nd time around. they can't be any worse.
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

Davidm1600

Ash, I think on all accounts you have probably hit the nail on the head.  This is why it probably will fail. Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Ash Gordon

having said all that I'll still be tuning in to watch... 

dmalfa75

I think that if they can mumble their way through another season or two AND find their own style, one that is more akin to our aussie sense of humour then maybe they can make a go of it.  Wouldn't bet money on it though.  They need to find better presenters to front the show, those other guys sucked, I hope Morrison doesn't make too big of a dick on the show.
Alfa 75 race car
Dunnydore road car

Ash Gordon

They need to have more fun with the show like UKTG episode where they had 1000 quid ( approx $2.5 k AU$) to buy an Alfa of their own choice.

" The presenters were challenged with proving to the show's producers that in order to be a true "petrolhead", you need to have owned an Alfa Romeo. So, they were each given £1,000 to buy an Alfa Romeo. Clarkson bought an Alfa Romeo 75 (for £450), Hammond bought an Alfa Romeo Spider (for £1,000), and May bought an Alfa Romeo GTV (for £995). The cars were put to a series of tests, which included participating in a track day at Rockingham Circuit, featuring their cars on a calendar which they must sell at a newsstand, and then lastly entering a Concours event for Alfas, traveling as far as 80 kilometres to get to the event area. "

Classic UKTG !  ;D

1750GT

Sorry Dave, but I must agree with Lombardi and others, flogging a dead horse hear I think, but! hang for a guy who asking for us to hang on and have a look (which I agree we should in any event no matter what we think) you sure do go along way to convincing yourself that its going to be crap again!

I must say that the other thing that got up my goat with the last serious was the fact that even when they got good cars all they had to say all the time about the cars was "this is great", now everyone has their faults but you never knew what was great because they never went on to tell you anything about the car, because they didn't know! all they knew was "that it was great".

At least James Morrisson, who is a car nut will at least know a bit about what he's talking about as he's a car nut, will probably appeal to the punters and a good presenter from what I have seen from his previous efforts on the box. It will be interesting to see.

Finally about the old UK Top Gear shows, yes they took a while to get into stride, but from the start they were funny and knew what they were talking about, last years crew on Aus TP were just not going to get anywhere and SBS has realised this by trying to change a number of things for the next one.

1750GT

alfagtv58

I just need something to make me smile when I inadvertently click on this topic.....again.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

branko.gt

WTF guys?

If you don't like the TGAU, just don't watch it and stop whingeing !

it really is not that difficult !

1750GT

Branko and Phil, we are only having a discussion, we could say the same to you about reading the thread? What is this the thread mafia? thread being moved, people complaining about whats being said?

1750GT

Evan Bottcher

Hang on a sec.  The thread was moved because it was in 'General Discussion' which is intended for "Anything and everything about Alfa Romeos".  I moved it to "Off Topic".  Got a problem with that?  If I were the mafia I would be asking you for money or having one of my henchmen come to break your legs...

I think a lot of folk use the 'unread posts' feature - and get a bit snippy when this thread keeps getting dug up (or re-started!) and is hard to ignore.  Personally I don't find it very interesting, but each to their own.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

:D
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

alfagtv58

gotta love lolcats
2009 159 JTS Ti

1750GT

Total and utter over reaction Evan, have you heard of the use of metaphors? I could go on but will just sign out, if you want to speak about it then contact me off line.

1750GT