anyone knowleadgeble on the 166

Started by lombardi, April 24, 2009, 11:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lombardi

could be buyng one,apart from the high cost of belts and tensioner replacement any other fuzzy bits i should know about.ciao
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Doug Gould

Something about a windscreen water leak onto the ECU.

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Barry Edmunds

Lombardi

I have heard that the door locks on the 166 can be a major problem and few if any spares available

Barry

alfa.nuvolari

A leaking heater core can be problem. Easy enough to fix itself, but the dash and other stuff has to be pulled out first - can be very time consuming and expensive if not fixed as it can upset the electrics.

myxr6turbo

They are a great car just expensive for parts, i just replaced the heater core in mine as it was starting to leak. the heater core was $375 from alfa romeo. You dont need to remove the dash to replace. Its all done from the engine bay. just have to remove all the parts under the wiper mechanism, ac gas, fan, and the false fire wall. Its about a 6-8 hr job complete

AGM155

Yeah common issues are the leaky heater core, which leaks directly onto the ECU below it, and yes the door locks tend to give grief...the solenoid for the lock goes and this makes life miserable as if one pin doesn't move when you lock the doors, the rest react and "bounce" so the car stays unlocked...you end up having to lock the offending door with the key.

The part is around $240 from Alfa - I changed mine myself but it was a bit of a task.

The Bosch AFMs are dodgy just like they are in other cars...the side-effect of this is flat spots in the rev-range.

Little things that might annoy you could include the lid of the box in the middle of the top of the dash doesn't really like to open...you need to have a special touch sometimes.

Left cancelling function on indicators fails commonly too.

There's probably stuff I've forgotten too...bide your time and buy a good one and it will be a great car...I love mine.

lombardi

I have bought a beautiful example with only 75k,awesome car all round,very impressed,in a class of its own,have had heaps of beemas and alfas fiats but this ones on another level,what about the magnificent view when u lift the bonnett,awe inspiring,numero uno,166 has to be the most underrated car in history.ciao
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

AGM155