Carbon Clean?

Started by Joe Garra, May 13, 2009, 10:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Garra

HI, can someone explain to me what it is? My wife took our 159 wagon in for it's 45 K service, and mentioned 3 problems. 1. badly faded front badge - they changed it free of charge, 2. Hand brake needed adjusting - fixed it 3. Car running slightly rough some mornings. They recalibrated the ECU and said it should be fine now, but if it persists it needs a carbon clean. Before I sound like a goose and ring to ask, can anyone explain it to me, thanks.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Paul Gulliver

As a highly qualified goose i asked the same question after 40 k service on my 159. I think the answer went along the lines that they loosen the exhaust manifold spray some toxic, highly corrosive substance ( paint stripper look a like) into the combustion chamber and run. It helps clean up the combustion chamber, it burns and passes out the exhaust.

Got to say driving the 159 you don't seem to rev it as hard as the old 156. Hence it probably doesn't self clean. Thats not to say the 159 isn't as willing. Maybe i'm just getting old.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Al Campbell

Don't know if it helps, but Subaru for over a decade use an "Upper Cylinder Cleaner" which is an additive poured into a full fuel tank, usually every service. From Subaru itself, not just a dealer/mechanics idea.

AL.

saratoga

I will second that.  Subaru would include that every service I had (despite my questioning whether it was necessary) on both Outbacks I had prevoiusly.  Alfa service have rang me requesting permission before they have included this carbon clean when servicing my 156.  Like a few other 'extras' I have decided I would let them every second or third service.

MD

Many years ago, there was a product called "Upper Cylinder Lube". The purpose of this fuel additive was to soften carbon deposition on valve seats, piston rings and the combustion chamber. When carbon did form, it would remain "soft" and less likely to cause pre-detination. Now this stuff was around when Golden Fleece service stations were around. If you remember them, welcome to the old farts club.

Currently there is an Australian made product called "Flash Lube". If has many useful applications including to function as the old upper cylinder lube with the same benefits. I have used it for many years and it does work as it is claimed to. Particularly, when the head is stripped down for a major overhaul, you find the combustion chamber much cleaner and a lot less carbon depositon on piston crowns and rings.

I suspect that the carbon de-coke servicing that are apparently required could be negated completely by the regular use of Flash Lube.

Check it out and do your own research I guess.

http://www.flashlube.com.au/en/valvesaverfluid/index.html
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

shiny_car

Quote from: Joe Garra on May 13, 2009, 10:10:34 AMMy wife took our 159 wagon in for it's 45 K service

i presume it's a JTS, not diesel (i know nothing about diesel cars).

after 45K km's (ie: low km's), a carbon clean shouldn't be necessary IMO. sounds like a waste of money. every 100K km's, maybe.

what fuel do you use? have you tried a different brand? are you using 98RON?

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Allegerita

Hi All, Isn't that the same as using Shell V-max? which is supposed to clean out deposits in the head?
KR,
Allegerita

Allegerita

Oops I meant V-Power...
KR,
Allegerita