Double clutching, blip once or twice?

Started by k76, July 03, 2009, 11:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pep105

Good stuff guys
I tend to default to method one, have used method 2 and not a master at it by no means, but usually default back to method 1 and find one blip is fine unless your trying to impress the girls at the bus stop  ;D

In regards to revs dropping you'll find that the transaxle cars will hold revs longer in between gears as the tailshaft is spinning at crankshaft speed with the clutch disengaged (as engine and tailshaft are connected with clutch in not the other way round) so the additional mass of the spinning tailshaft off the engine translates to the revs dropping at a slower rate than say in a 105 or front box mounted car.

Quote from: k76 on July 03, 2009, 02:41:06 PM

I've been using my wife's Yaris recently, blippping the throttle is about the most exciting thing I can do with that car...

Kris

Cmon Kris there's other exciting things you can do with a Yaris (your-arse ;D) you forgot the reverse donuts, rollbacks, handbrakeys or you could set it on fire and ghosty it down your favourite street, but I guess Wifey wouldn't appreciate it. But seriously the electronic throttle on the Yaris feels more like a on/off switch as its not very progressive, but at least you can practice on that rather than the Alfetta

Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: pep105 on July 04, 2009, 02:27:18 PM
Cmon Kris there's other exciting things you can do with a Yaris (your-arse ;D) you forgot the reverse donuts, rollbacks, handbrakeys or you could set it on fire and ghosty it down your favourite street, but I guess Wifey wouldn't appreciate it. But seriously the electronic throttle on the Yaris feels more like a on/off switch as its not very progressive, but at least you can practice on that rather than the Alfetta

On/off switch throttle in a front driver?  Excellent, great for mid corner lift off oversteer  ;D

Tim Jobson

Thanks Guys for the education,

I will have to try pure double declutching when I finally get my car welded up with new sills.

As the gearbox oil is probably a standard SAE 90grade oil I guess that whenfirst driving off, shifting from 1st to 3rd wil reduce 2nd scynro wear until the oil warms up....... is this what others do????

Also, are there better alternative gearbox oils that help with 105 gearchange and wear issues that other 105 members have used.?

Regards
Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000
76 Ferrari 308GTB Dry sump fiberglass model
74 Fiat 124 Sport CC, 128SL,850 Sport

Simon Aarons

QuoteI guess that whenfirst driving off, shifting from 1st to 3rd wil reduce 2nd scynro wear until the oil warms up....... is this what others do?

I wouldn't think that would be necessary, just be gentle from 1st to 2nd and likewise from 3rd back to 2nd. Otherwise it sounds like you are going to have really rev out first gear to get moving so that 3rd can have a bit more pick up.....not the smartest thing to do if your car is still warming up.
1986 GTV6 3.0L

Mat Francis

A long time ago mum had to drive the alfetta, and i thought it may be easier to do the 1st to 3rd thing. While demonstrating it to her, i discovered it was significantly worse for the gearbox, as i had no idea how many revs it had to drop to get it right. Worst grinding noise i have heard in my life i reckon. At least when going from first to second when it's cold you should be able to get it pretty right (and not cause much if any wear), but from first to third while cold you are going to cause just as much, if not more, wear on the 3rd gear syncro. Or would be my limited understanding anyway.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

k76

I've heard that skipping 2nd is necessary on old ferraris, until the box is warm. Maybe that's where Tim is coming from
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Tim Jobson

That is exactly where I was coming from.    I was once the proud owner of a 308GTB that on cold mornings really needed to skip second gear until the gearbox oil warmed up alittle, otherwise it was like moving the gearshift lever through tar.     The car had such  wonderfully torque that you could do this without racing the engine, I suppose the 105 2L is not so forgiving....I look forward to finding out when I finally finish welding new sill and repair panels and other jobs to get her to a registration state.   I do miss the 308 but not the expense!!

Regards

Tim
1975 105 GTV 2000
Past
79 Fiat Spider 2000
76 Ferrari 308GTB Dry sump fiberglass model
74 Fiat 124 Sport CC, 128SL,850 Sport

pep105

Sometimes on cold mornings before the gearbox warmed up I would go from 1st to 3rd in the Gt Jnr as there was no chance of getting it into 2nd. I find the 1600 pulls really well from down low, but never driven another (1600) so not sure if they are all like that. Other option was to take off gently in 1st and would have to slow right down almost to  walking pace to get 2nd, or I could take off in 2nd from standstill, sounds crazy but my car could do it. I dont remember the 2 litre being that flexible.
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark