WTB: GTV6 tail shaft (any condition)

Started by Mike, July 12, 2009, 04:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Hi,

I'm chasing a GTV6 driveshaft end to end.  Prefer balanced, good donuts bearings etc, but happy to buy a tired one and replace compnents as needed.

I'm in Tassie and will pay freight.  Needed urgently.

Call 0439396679.

Cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

MD

Mike
Almost certain you know this already but just in case you dont, the coupe shaft is shorter than the V6 sedans. Might pay to check the length of any shaft prior to despatch to Tassie just in case..you've heard about Murphy's Law I take it..?  :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Mike

Thanks guys that's really usefull info.

I did know that I need a GTV6 shaft.  What I did not know is that I can use a 90 rear.  I had suspected that at least part of the drive shaft must be the same length between them, makes sence it's the front half.

OK, so I will happily accept GTV6 front half and alfa 90 rear half, should someone half half the combo I'm after!

Cheers on the GT, I just want it to go to a good home, sorry I could not sell it to you on the basis of you needing a group S :-), it's too good for that.  You'll find a GTV mid eighties for about 700 bucks if you keep your ears to the ground.

Cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

actually, what do you blokes know about alfa 75 driveshafts...any usefull bits of them I can use?  I will run 2ltr engine (8v single spark) and twin spark lsd rear end out of a alfa 75.  It will go in my gt.  I have access to alfa 75 bits if they can be used (twin spark, 2.5ltr and 3.0ltr variants)
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mat Francis

Can i ask why you would want a v6 shaft for a 2lt engine? that won't work will it?  ???

From what i read today, and i can't remember it word for word, but i suspect you should be able to get the 75 bits to work if you have a TS donor car. 

Try www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/australian-forum and find the "driveshaft maintainance" thread, close to the top.

My first thought would be to drop the entire Di Dion from the 75 into the alfetta. The only thing you may need to change would be the flywheel on the engine? and if you had to do this also the starter motor to match.

BUT, you would also get the advantage of the isostatic gear linkage. something to think about.

Plenty of unknowns in this idea, but it would be my first plan of attack given my limited interpretation from the bulletin board thread and past experiences.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Mike

I want the bigger v6 shaft to take the 400hp my supercharged turbocharged engine should make. 

still looking....

cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

MD

Mike

I think the only difference in the 2 vs 6 shafts is the size of the rubber couplings which are bigger on the V6's. That means the flanges are also bigger and will not couple up to clutch input shafts and flywheels correctly on 2 litre gear.

Finally, a transaxle is not likely to handle 400 hp reliably if at all based on what I have read 300 being about the safe limit. You may care to look into this a bit further..

You may need a front mounted gearbox and then an appropriate matching propshaft and differential to do the business.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Mike

Yeah I have looked into the hp requirements a lot.  I have a 3ltr rear end and a twinspark rear end.  According to beninca, a 3ltr rear end will handle it.  According to another guy who races a turbo 330hp car, the twin spark has lasted him 7years.  So info is a bit varied.  I do know that a lexus quad cam v8 can run through a gtv6 rear end comfortably, so that says quite a bit about them.  I'm a mechanically sympathetic driver so I should be ok.  Theres no way I'm putting a box up the front of my GT.

cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

MD

So if your intention is to put 400hp through a transaxle, what sort of couplings do you intend to use with these propshafts?

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Mike

thanks for all the help guys, Mille Miglia came to the party and sorted me out with one.  Matt was an apsolute champ, bent over backwards for me.

Cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb