New member needs help/advice - broken 67 GT Sprint Veloce

Started by stu105, August 01, 2009, 04:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stu105

Hi all I am fast becoming an alfa tragic and thus a new mwmber to the scene from Brisvagas.
In Jun I purchased a 66 (Nov 66 build sold in 67 in SA) Giulia GT Sprint Veloce which immediately went to the workshop for some mods (Carbies, seatbelts etc).
all major components restored - interior, drive train, paint.    Minor thing to fix - my longer term intent - suspension upgrade, wheels, elctronic ignition....and enjoy...but the saga began!!!

The proprietor was testing a vehicle behind it which jumped into gear and ran into the back of the Alfa.  The Alfa was also pushed into a brickwall.  No! this is not an AAMI add.  I have owned it less than a month.  And although I should get through his insurance what I paid for it, (I think I also keep the car), this will not cover what has been spent on the car by the previous owner.

Front smashed, Rear smashed, chassis at rear very likely bent. 

My jouney into the world of Alfa is not good to this point
Is this salvageable/what are my options (I now have a limited budget) or should I cut my losses. 
Car has not been assessed yet (but guards over rear wheels have significantly 'popped'

Any advise/guidance on some local knowledge to inspect and guide me forward would be much appreciated. 

I have not worked out how to reduce the meg size of the pictures yet but can email separately

Many thanks (I don't know how long I can keep crying in my beer).

Stu

Davidm1600

Oh what rotten luck.  Can certainly feel the pain.  Now depending on just how bad the damage is, if it is not too excessive, it should be repairable.  The insurers will basically probably try to write it off, unless you are with someone like Shannons or more importantly the garage is !!  and/or you insist on it being repaired.

The 105 is quite "soft" in the rear and therefore can damage quite easily, however, they can be straightened.  I know of a certain 1750 GTV (series 2) that was crushed in the rear up to the rear window and it has been fixed and was not too long ago up for sale on carsales for over $10K. 

If your car, and being a rarer model (ie. 1600 GT Sprint Veloce) was in reasonable to good condition, it should have been worth more than say $8K (hard to put a figure on it with out seeing pics), as for all I know it cold be worth twice that much.  Now if this is the case, then perhaps the insurers will pay to have it fixed.  Parts certainly are available, ie. Alfaholics, Classic Alfa (in the UK) etc so it can be done. 

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you and your Alfa.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Stuart Thomson

There are no chassis rails rear of about the back seats in a 105 coupe.  As such the  car can crush up to the rear windscreen and still be repairable.

Cheers
Stuart