Private Practice at Calder tomorrow..

Started by jimnielsen, July 23, 2009, 09:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimnielsen

Hi All. Calder is having open practice tomorrow. (gates open at 0900)  - I am taking the 155 Q4 there for its first real test with the new engine - along with a few other alfa enthusiasts.. Fell free to join us! If you want to drive your car its $220.00 for the day. Car is on the trailer!

cheers, jim ~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Ray Pignataro

MD

Jim, that country side is so beautiful I almost missed the car until I realised there are no red trees... ::)

Good luck on the day and may the Gods of Rome be with you.  ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Brad M

How'd the 155 go ?

Did you decide to focus on the 33 because you have come to your senses ?  ;)
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

jimnielsen

Calder testing went well - did more than 100km on the track.... That should have bedded the rings in! Collected a mountain of data and video - but the summary is that we got it to run at about 12.7:1 AFR WOT. It will go fast (in time..)  Thanks to Ray, Frank, Mal and Steve for helping me out on the day!
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

david sammartino

must post a few of those vids up when you get the chance. curious as to what sort of time it wouldve ran, did you run any timing devices? good stuff

jimnielsen

Uncovered a few issues at Calder. Problem with the drive shaft centre bearing, boost leak caused by me making an intercooler pipe a tad too short..coolant leak caused by a faulty O-Ring..

Here is a graph that compares temperatures from the pre-intercooler side of the system to the post-intercooler side (inlet manifold). As you can see the intercooler acts as a heat sink quite well. I am using identical bosch AT sensors. One is in the inlet manifold its self - the other is just prior to entering the intercooler (after the turbo). The Y axis is Temperature in degrees C and the X axis is time. Also another graph of boost/RPM. & etc..

.. David S.. The datalogger does record the times - but I was not driving any complete laps quickly - as we were really just trying to bed the engine in and get a first cut at the maps. I am planning on taking it to Beninca's dyno for further setup - but now I have to get a new center bearing from 'somewhere' first...

cheers, jim ~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

david sammartino

sounds like normal teething issues with new setups thats all. i wouldve thought 155 parts are plentiful in the uk??? isnt it just a matter of getting on the net and searching all those parts suppliers over there?