245/40 ZR 19 tyres for the 159ti

Started by Tallwoods, July 28, 2009, 04:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tallwoods

G'day all.  I've owned a 159 ti 2.2 JTS for abour 18 months now and have enjoyed every minute of it.  I've covered about 34,000ks and the time has come to put some new tyres on the front.  The car came new with 235/40 ZR 19 Contis.  I knew these things would be pricey when the time came, but at $680ea I have to look at some options.  Pirelli PZero are a bit cheaper at about $550ea.  However, I have to ask if anyone out there in Alfa land has experience with fitting 245/40 ZR 19 on the ti.  This size is more readily available from a number of manufacturers and a lot less expensive, but may have issues with clearance.  Let me know what you think?

mozzie

by changing the tyre size you may have issues with rolling diameter which will upset speedo readings
i would suggest to google tyre calculator & check to see if the tyre is size is suitable first

regards mozzie

k76

I wouldn't worry too much about the speedo, that is quite a small change. Car companies are pretty sloppy with this too, for example Toyota uses the same speedo calibration on 14" and 15" wheels for the Yaris. The speedo is wrong with 15", but with 14" it's really wrong...
'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

Tallwoods

The rolling diameter is not an issue.  The change from 234/40 to 245/40 will only effect the rolling diameter / speedo by about 1%.  The only real issue I can see is whether there would be any rubbing on wheel arches of susspenision components.  Is any body currently using 245/40 19's on their 159ti

saratoga

Hi,
I run Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's on my 156 and having had many different performace tyres over the years I cant speak highly enough of them.  I look after them and run them at 38psi and now approaching 60,000k on the current set and still plenty of tread to the markers.  Addmittedly I am on the F3 to Sydney every day but their great in the dry and like driving on rails in the wet.  They come in the size you need and you should pay about $300 - $350 per tyre from someone like Tyrepower.  Just a thought.