Alfa Parts - This has got to be a record!!!!

Started by vicw, August 05, 2009, 07:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicw

This is really the ultimate in price gouging that I've EVER seen. I have an Alfa V6 3.2 L with Xenon lights. My warranty ran out around 3 weeks ago. I washed my car over the weekend and found condensation in one of the headlights. Not just misting but droplets of water.

Well of course I wasn't happy especially since the warranty had just ran out but this was nothing to how I felt when I priced the part.

ALFA HAS THE AUDACITY TO CHARGE $3500 FOR THIS PIECE OF PLASTIC. The guy who gave me the price treated it like a big joke.

He gleefully informed me that if I didn't replace it I would go through Xenon bulbs at $600 a pop.

So even if I replace the part I could be up for another $3500 in another year or so. The cost of this non-mechanical part is more than the cambelt/metal water-pump/40K service that I just have had.

To say I am disgusted in Alfa and my choice of a GT is an understatement. Does anyone have any suggestions apart from taking to the car with a sledgehammer and dropping it off outside Ateco. It will probably turn out cheaper in the long run.

Signed,

Vic (An extremely disgusted long-term Alfa owner).
VicW - Alfa GT 3.2L Coupe '06

Click here for an easy and free way to help care for those in need at The Animal Rescue Site

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Scarlan

About a year ago I decided to replace the foglights on my 156.
I found buying them in the UK less than half the price of buying them here through a dealer, and at least coming from the UK you can be sure (?) that the lights are suited to RHD cars.
Do a search for the light or look on UK eBay.
Worth a try.
Current:
07 159 Q4 3.2JTS
Previously:
99 156 Twin Spark
91 33S Permanent 4
86 33Ti

k76

That is amazing! So if you have a light crash with a bumper bar, a couple of lights and a bonnet you pretty much write the car off?

At least a couple of times a week I get rednecks in 4x4/utes cutting in front of me when I have right of way. If I wanted a new headlight it's just a matter of not backing off as they always assume I will. Just pick someone that looks like they have insurance, and hopefully won't stab you...

Kris

'77 Alfetta GTV 2000
'82 Alfetta Sportiva
'04 147 TS

lombardi

This is another example of new/modern cars are a joke at robbing your wallet,im shedding tears for u, sounds like a good idea the ebay way-but half the price is still a sting-buona fortuna.ciao
forza lazio,viva l'alfa

Current Alfa=

Giulietta 2015 QV manual Ghiaccio

1974 Spider series 2 ,carabinieri blu

Previous Alfas=

33x4 1985 wagon
33 ti 1985
156 sportswagon manual red
Alfetta sportiva 1981 red
166 silver 1999

Paul Gulliver

Talking of price gouging. Friend has a 159, at a suburban football match last weekend football comes over the fence breaks off side door rear vision mirror. Replacement cost ( close your eyes and have a guess or think of a number)  $1,000
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Asher1337

I feel your pain

I'm a 22 year old student and I own a 2000 alfa spider

I clipped the side mirror in the garage on a tool shelf and the plastic cover came off. I was quoted $2000 for a new mirror. Instead I got my dad to slastic the mirror cover back on; stuck on just fine. :)

I have a funny noise coming from my wheels, I think it's a bearing. If it is, its going to cost me around $800.

Never the less it's hard to put a price on cruizing around on a sunny day with the top down; this justifies the expense of maintaining the car for me lol.

pep105

The cost of genuine parts is an issue, not only is there a huge mark up from the manufacturer but then the dealer puts their own mark up on it, which in some cases is not controlled or capped by the manufacturer/distributer so in the end the shafting is copped by the customer. Hence the unbeliveable cost and potential price variation between dealerships.

My old 147 had a worn rack end, problem is Alfa dont service the part seperately and only sell the complete steering rack which was $1500. I ended up buying the rack end from Milano for $150
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Jekyll and Hyde

I hate to tell you this, but Xenon headlights cost about the same no matter which car make you are buying them for, and yes, $3500 is the normal price.  You'd be paying around that whether you had bought a BMW, a Range Rover, an Audi.....

vicw

Quote from: Jekyll and Hyde on August 05, 2009, 10:42:02 PM
I hate to tell you this, but Xenon headlights cost about the same no matter which car make you are buying them for, and yes, $3500 is the normal price.  You'd be paying around that whether you had bought a BMW, a Range Rover, an Audi.....

I'm not sure where you get those prices but just out of curiousity I checked out late model Range Rovers and Audis and the price is less than $300. Correct me if I'm wrong http://www.drivewire.com/products/audi-a4/headlight-assembly/28885/

Click here for an easy and free way to help care for those in need at The Animal Rescue Site

miavespa

Sounds like a manufacturing fault.  Even though the warranty is expired, you are still entitled to get it replaced.  It is not wear and tear, it is a design fault.  No water should ever enter the head lights, no matter what type they are.  Contact Consumer Affairs in Vic.  Lodge a claim, and you will be guaranteed a phone call from ALFA!  Good luck!
Quote from: vicw on August 05, 2009, 07:52:02 AM
This is really the ultimate in price gouging that I've EVER seen. I have an Alfa V6 3.2 L with Xenon lights. My warranty ran out around 3 weeks ago. I washed my car over the weekend and found condensation in one of the headlights. Not just misting but droplets of water.

Well of course I wasn't happy especially since the warranty had just ran out but this was nothing to how I felt when I priced the part.

ALFA HAS THE AUDACITY TO CHARGE $3500 FOR THIS PIECE OF PLASTIC. The guy who gave me the price treated it like a big joke.

He gleefully informed me that if I didn't replace it I would go through Xenon bulbs at $600 a pop.

So even if I replace the part I could be up for another $3500 in another year or so. The cost of this non-mechanical part is more than the cambelt/metal water-pump/40K service that I just have had.

To say I am disgusted in Alfa and my choice of a GT is an understatement. Does anyone have any suggestions apart from taking to the car with a sledgehammer and dropping it off outside Ateco. It will probably turn out cheaper in the long run.

Signed,

Vic (An extremely disgusted long-term Alfa owner).

vicw

Well I saw the Alfa dealer today and the service manager was very reasonable and the car is booked in for Monday and they will do what is required to ensure the unit is waterproof. From what I gather Magnetti Marelli are the rogues in the outlandish costs of the headlamp units.

Vic

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: vicw on August 06, 2009, 06:59:39 AM
I'm not sure where you get those prices but just out of curiousity I checked out late model Range Rovers and Audis and the price is less than $300. Correct me if I'm wrong http://www.drivewire.com/products/audi-a4/headlight-assembly/28885/

Well, aside from the fact that those headlights aren't Xenon, they're halogen, and the list price is actually $365 American dollars....  I did however come across another American site which had Xenon Audi lamps listed at $700 USD, no mention of whether it included the ballast (which was about $400 USD elsewhere) or globe, all of which will likely be included in the unit supplied from a dealer, whether you want it or not. However, you weren't complaining about the prices you could find on the net in another country, you were complaining about the price coming from your Alfa dealer.  So if you are still curious, try ringing up a Land Rover dealer, or an Audi dealer, and ask them for a price on Xenon headlights.  I know for a fact that the Xenon lights to suit the current shape Range Rover were about the $3500 mark through ULR in Melbourne about 2 years ago, and I'd be very surprised if that's changed much, despite Land Rover parts costs jumping around a lot in the last year (Turbo which used to cost $700 now costs $1400?).

Quote from: vicw on August 06, 2009, 03:56:12 PM
Well I saw the Alfa dealer today and the service manager was very reasonable and the car is booked in for Monday and they will do what is required to ensure the unit is waterproof. From what I gather Magnetti Marelli are the rogues in the outlandish costs of the headlamp units.

Vic

Who also manufacture the halogen headlights you posted earlier for Audi, and presumably would also manufacture the Xenons for Audi...

vicw

Quote from: Choderboy on August 06, 2009, 10:42:54 PM
and... CHECKMATE!

Are you OK?? Just relax... Rang Euromarque in Brisbane and the Xenon assembly for the latest Audi A4 is $1800Au. A bit of a difference to $3500Au.

vicw

Quote from: Choderboy on August 07, 2009, 02:20:18 PM
I am ok.
And I am relaxed.
I don't know what you are using in referring to me being not relaxed.

Since you were yelling out  'CHECKMATE' in a middle of a thread, without any other input I thought you might have had a touch of Tourette's syndrome.

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: vicw on August 07, 2009, 11:51:18 AM
Are you OK?? Just relax... Rang Euromarque in Brisbane and the Xenon assembly for the latest Audi A4 is $1800Au. A bit of a difference to $3500Au.

Well, I'll admit that price surprises me.  However, would you have still started this thread if Alfa had quoted you $1800?